SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

"We Know Them By Name"

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Drew Daywalt posted this on Twitter and I wanted to share it here. Written by an elementary school librarian, I think this is a truly lovely piece about the importance of not just knowing the titles of books but of knowing the authors/illustrators by name and using those name in conjunction with the books.

This is a great quote: "Because I want students to know these talented people by name. I want kids to realize that there are faces that go with the books on these shelves in our library. That these books were made by people who are just as human and fallible as we are. These stories were written by people from California and Ohio and Canada, and they live in houses and feel happy and sad and scared just like we do."

http://kingandkids.blogspot.com/2015/08/we-know-them-by-name.html?m=1
#1 - August 28, 2015, 09:37 AM
Suffering Succotash: A Picky Eater's Quest to Undersand Why We Hate the Foods We Hate (Perigee 2012)
www.grubreport.com
https://twitter.com/grubreport

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
:like Awesome!
#2 - August 28, 2015, 09:39 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
What a wonderful thing to do. It also helps kids to realize they too can be writers, tell their stories.
Thanks for the link Stephanie.
V.
#3 - August 28, 2015, 10:20 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

This dedicated librarian is making a difference with the students she works with. I bet the students LOVE going to the library and checking out books!
Wonderful article. Thanks!   
#4 - August 29, 2015, 05:39 AM

Members: