SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

show and tell?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
I'm in the throes of a PB R&R and could use your help.

For the kindergarten sharing activity, it seems like the term "Show and Tell" is most universal, but I've seen others, like "Sharing Time" and "Show and Share."

My little hasn't started school yet and my bigs are far past kindergarten, so I'm behind in current jargon. It's probably unwise to use something that feels trendy (as it might fizzle out and date my story), BUT I also don't want to use what's most familiar to middle-aged me if it's no longer common....

Is Show and Tell still the right term?

:thanks2
#1 - June 29, 2017, 12:09 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I think Show and Tell would be universally understood. We had "Sharing Time" or "Circle Time" when my kids were little and it always sounded like group therapy. LOL. I'm no help. Sorry.
#2 - June 29, 2017, 01:10 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
It's the term I am most familiar with. (In Aus)
#3 - June 29, 2017, 02:58 PM
I've Got Feet!  - Amicus Ink (2017)
My Australia - NLA (2018)
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink (2018)

www.juliemurphybooks.com
Twitter: @juliekidsbooks

Poster Plus
Thanks so much, Vijaya and Julie!! Show and Tell, it is!

:thankyou
#4 - June 29, 2017, 03:01 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
My children are used to Circle Time or Sharing Time, when they get to take turns talking about whatever they are obsessed with at the moment.
#5 - June 29, 2017, 09:49 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

DEADWOOD, Spencer Hill, 2014
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Poster Plus
Thanks, Kell!!

:thanx
#6 - June 30, 2017, 04:11 AM

I wonder if you used a slightly different term, you'd peak interest???

That being said, my kids had show and tell.

Ree
#7 - June 30, 2017, 06:13 AM

Poster Plus
That's a worthy consideration, Ree. Thank you!!

:thankyou

#8 - June 30, 2017, 07:36 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
Mine had Circle Time, but I concur with Ree that it's time for a new imaginative term that not only says it, but could "go viral" and be distinctive to your PB.  :dancer
#9 - June 30, 2017, 08:54 AM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing Aug 2012
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520 July 2011

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Poster Plus
Thanks, Mirka!! I'm really going to have to think about this....

:ty
#10 - June 30, 2017, 09:09 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
My children were in elementary school in the 80's and the term Show and Tell had already been dropped. They had Sharing Time instead. I think Show and Tell is understood by a broad spectrum of people, but I don't know how much it is actually used in schools. Perhaps it's a matter of regional differences. I live in California. Other parts of the country could have their own styles.
#11 - June 30, 2017, 09:50 AM

Poster Plus
Thanks, Pons. Dated and regional is what I want to avoid.

I'm so glad I asked. You all are the best.

:thankyou2
#12 - June 30, 2017, 11:50 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I think it's dated also. I hear circle time for the preschoolers. I'm not even sure our full day kindergartens still have a formal sharing time.
#13 - June 30, 2017, 08:55 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Read aloud, Read proud.
That was one of the titles for Circle Time in one nursery I worked in. It was to encourage children engage in story time as a nursery group & individual reading with a childcare worker.
#14 - July 01, 2017, 06:11 AM

Poster Plus
Thanks, Debbie and thundering elephants!!

Now I understand why googling "Show and Tell" yielded less than expected.

Eons ago, when I student-taught littles (and went on to teach middle/high school...), Circle Time was that morning meeting to do the calendar, weather, news, and preview of the day.  Show and Tell was a separate, weekly event, which was looooooong and always meant fading, inattentive listeners at the end. (Poor last Sharers......)

When my older children were in kindergarten, the wise teachers staggered S&T throughout the week - alphabetically, I think -  so there wasn't one massive hour-long session.

#15 - July 01, 2017, 07:47 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
I think teachers use Circle Time as you said but may ask for one or two volunteers to share each day. Sharing may also be topic specific.
#16 - July 01, 2017, 06:01 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
My children's elementary school - at least the lower grades - had Star of the Week. Each week had one student assigned, and if it was your week, you got to bring things from home to share about yourself. There was no regular daily or weekly sharing time when everyone listened to everyone else.
#17 - July 02, 2017, 12:26 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
My children's elementary school - at least the lower grades - had Star of the Week. Each week had one student assigned, and if it was your week, you got to bring things from home to share about yourself. There was no regular daily or weekly sharing time when everyone listened to everyone else.

I forgot all about Star of the Week. We had that too. The kids also completed a poster about themselves that was hung in the room somewhere. This was done K-5.
#18 - July 02, 2017, 04:16 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Thanks, Debbie and thundering elephants!!

Now I understand why googling "Show and Tell" yielded less than expected.

Eons ago, when I student-taught littles (and went on to teach middle/high school...), Circle Time was that morning meeting to do the calendar, weather, news, and preview of the day.  Show and Tell was a separate, weekly event, which was looooooong and always meant fading, inattentive listeners at the end. (Poor last Sharers......)

When my older children were in kindergarten, the wise teachers staggered S&T throughout the week - alphabetically, I think -  so there wasn't one massive hour-long session.

Just to add, I think with the global media of the internet and film, most children will be familiar with "American" sessions like Show & Tell, etc. Sorry if that sounds patronising, but these terms would be generally considered from the US. "Reading time" is probably the most popular here. Kids don't get the time to show & tell!
#19 - July 03, 2017, 01:08 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
I'm a little late chiming in on this, but in my experience "show and tell" is still very much alive and well.  My two kids have been to three pre-schools and three kindergartens between them within the last 5 years, ranging in style from super progressive to conservative religious, in both New Jersey and PA.  In all of them, they used the term "show and tell."  That said, I think using a different term like "sharing time" would certainly not be misunderstood, and if you are going for a more modern / progressive feel for your school, it might be a better choice.  I think I've heard the term "Sharing and Caring" somewhere but I can't remember where.  "Circle time" from what I've seen is not specifically a show and tell activity, it is more of a daily morning gathering to sing songs, talk about the calendar and weather, etc. 
#20 - July 14, 2017, 08:08 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I'm a Head start teacher (ages 3-5) and have been for nearly thirty years. Circle time is very much alive but is a very different thing then Show and Tell. Circle time is usually what I do as a teacher. If we're talking about trees, I may introduce that subject, we do the daily job chart, and some teachers do a daily calendar. (I do not). And I may have a child share if they have something pressing: lost a tooth or Grandma is visiting from out of state, etc.
Show and tell is a different animal. I deleted this from my life years ago as developmentally inappropriate since children  are egocentric by nature at this age (Who cares? It's all about me!). But I did do a STAR of the week, or VIP. These were great to learn to listen to others for a short period of time and promote speaking in front of others. I also introduced the concept of a question vs. a statement and was very clear with parents on what could be shared: Monday a family pic, Tuesday a favorite book, etc.
Hope this helps!   :running
#21 - July 14, 2017, 09:50 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I've just remembered that one place I was in called it "Chair Time". Self-explanatory and I didn't agree with it. From a personal POV I think it's better to read to children not at them and sitting at their level is key.

Just a personal opinion.
#22 - July 14, 2017, 11:31 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Like time out?
Confused.
Making reading a negative doesn't ever sound like a good idea.
#23 - July 14, 2017, 04:14 PM

Members: