SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Haven's Above?

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
No, that wasn't a typo: I was attempting to be satirical.
I also know I have asked this before but curiosity plagues me:
Anyway, here's the query:

Where is your writing haven and what's in it?
 I know we all have different styles, even the famous writers are known for their bizarre places. From what I remember, Roald Dahl wrote in a shed at the bottom of his garden. As I type, I am sitting in a chocolate cafe with a cold cappuccino, topped up with steamed milk, as is tradition with me. The joys of being regular. I might not buy much, but I do it every day! :muahaha
How do you chillax with your characters?
#1 - July 14, 2017, 06:19 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I write in a home/office at a desk just like it's my day job, which it is. Of course, it's also my night job. Depends on the freelance deadlines and where I am in my own projects. I'm here 10-noon, 1:15 until the kids come home, evenings before dinner if there are no after-school/camp activities or homework help requirements, nights while they get ready for bed and from 11:30-after midnight. That's four days a week and is interrupted by errands sometimes. Fridays my folks come visit. Weekends, I just do the two later shifts.
#2 - July 14, 2017, 07:14 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Wow, that's committed and organised, Debi.
I'm not working so I can pretty much write whenever I want, but that also lends to laziness because you can find stupid things to fill your time and put off what needs to be done.
Thanks for your feedback.
#3 - July 14, 2017, 01:42 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I have a home office and I love it because everything I need is within reach, including the pets :catlove  I also handwrite in bed and on the porch. I wanted to post pictures here but it's easier to send you here: http://vijayabodach.blogspot.com/p/critique-service.html
#4 - July 14, 2017, 05:56 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I procrastinate tons too, but I think it' part of the process. Hence, I'm here on the Blueboards so often. But I do try to keep it to twice a day and since I'm modding, I call it part of my job. It's work, I tell you.
#5 - July 14, 2017, 08:50 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
I procrastinate tons too, but I think it' part of the process. Hence, I'm here on the Blueboards so often. But I do try to keep it to twice a day and since I'm modding, I call it part of my job. It's work, I tell you.

It is, Debi.
How many people have most encountered who have expressed their belief that "writing for children isn't true writing"?
That's why I very rarely label myself a children's writer, but since I write in public I'm often asked. "Have you ever considered writing adult fiction" and "have you been published?" are the two most popular queries.
That is the negative side of writing in public. However, writing in my regular haunt gets me discounted hot drinks, soothing background music and endless character building opportunities.
The public arena lends to many people saying things they really with such a wide audience surrounding them!
Can't write at home because a stunning little panther inhibits me.
Thanks for the feedback.
#6 - July 15, 2017, 12:02 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Great topic!

I write from the passenger seat of a bread truck between stops.  Which is where I am now --supposed to be writing but  :umm not at the moment.  :grin3

I plot while stocking bread and working our restaurants, convenient stores, and all others. 

Every once in a while I do get to write from home. I have an office but it's mainly for storing my book related stuff and  books.
#7 - July 15, 2017, 02:06 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Great topic!

I write from the passenger seat of a bread truck between stops.  Which is where I am now --supposed to be writing but  :umm not at the moment.  :grin3

I plot while stocking bread and working our restaurants, convenient stores, and all others. 

Every once in a while I do get to write from home. I have an office but it's mainly for storing my book related stuff and  books.

If you don't build a character plot around that you're missing an opportunity. As soon as I read it I thought of Nick Park.
You should take the time to watch this.

I'm in my writing haven right now and surrounded by only two other customers and the sound of the staff clearing out empty cups.  My character annoyed me this morning so it's time to sort her out!
#8 - July 15, 2017, 04:02 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
If you don't build a character plot around that you're missing an opportunity. As soon as I read it I thought of Nick Park.
You should take the time to watch this.

Already done. :) just waiting on the right time for my agent to send it out.

Thanks!  I'll be sure to check Nick Park out!!
#9 - July 15, 2017, 04:13 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ireland
Already done. :) just waiting on the right time for my agent to send it out.

Thanks!  I'll be sure to check Nick Park out!!

Definitely check Nick Park out. All of his animations are done in clay and a true collection of genius.
#10 - July 15, 2017, 04:41 AM

Members: