• SCBWI Region socal
Squeezed in 547 words on a busy Saturday. Total = 2688
#61 - November 04, 2017, 08:21 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Yay, Pons! That's a chunk!

We used to have a thread for writing 1000 words a day. We should start a new one after this month of 500 words a day.
#62 - November 05, 2017, 06:24 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
306 on Saturday which I had to turn around and cut. But at least I know where I'm headed. Not sure of my total word count. Will check after today.     :autumn   Congrats to you guys who are really killing it!!!!!
#63 - November 05, 2017, 08:05 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
well, I was really killing it, but after another 400 words they're still not doing much. This is what happens when you dash ahead on the word count and hit a wall while everyone else is still delighted with their shiny opening scenes. :blushgirl
#64 - November 05, 2017, 08:49 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
We used to have a thread for writing 1000 words a day. We should start a new one after this month of 500 words a day.

I know 500 words a day sounds puny, but it seems to be something I can handle at the moment, and it gets me to the computer on a regular basis. I once read someone who said her goal was writing 15 minutes a day because she could almost always meet it. She also knew she wasn't bound by a certain number of words. After 15 minutes at her computer,  she was free to leave, but she almost always stayed. Her writing life became more productive and enjoyable.

I think sometimes our goals defeat us. They focus so pointedly on the end result and not the process.

#65 - November 05, 2017, 09:01 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I agree, Pons. I do better when I have an easier goal, and then pass it and keep going. I get more done that way.

I don't think 500 words is a puny goal. It's a good goal, and one we could surpass if we were in the zone and had the time. When we're not and we don't, we could still churn it out - painfully, maybe, but it would be done.

well, back to trying to figure out how to get my characters to stop talking and do something...
#66 - November 05, 2017, 09:24 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
Dropped in to say you're killing it, JFriday! I saw your word count on the site, and wow!

Way to go to everyone who's been writing!

I'm writing, but I'm doing my scenes out of order, which may mean I end up with a lot of revising and cutting at the end. But I got stuck, so I just skipped ahead. We'll see how this goes. Hopefully, at the end of the month, I've had fun with it, no matter what shape my novel is in.
#67 - November 05, 2017, 10:32 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Today - 537 words
Total - 3220 words
#68 - November 05, 2017, 02:04 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
Way to go, Pons!  :stars3
#69 - November 05, 2017, 05:17 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
:yay for all the writing.

Total fail on the wip--but for very worthwhile things (All Souls High Mass with Faure's music and conference over the weekend). Hope to jump back in tomorrow. My brain is buzzing.
#70 - November 05, 2017, 07:23 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
3265 total!  Woot!
I had to go back in and delete a bunch but the reward for killing my darlings was getting to know my characters better and therefore writing more. On my way!
We're doing it folks! This thread was a great idea, JFriday.  Pons!  :yay

:writing3
#71 - November 06, 2017, 05:39 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Asingrey, I'm doing the same thing you're doing. I'm starting to skip around.

This is honestly how I ended my writing yesterday and yes, I'm counting it in my word count:      I’m incredibly sick of this dialogue and I’m skipping to something more interesting.

and then today I started a new chapter where there's actually something going on.  I don't know how she's going to get from the previous place to the new chapter, but right now I'm just delighted I'm not bogged down in that awful dialogue. If I wasn't doing NaNoWriMo, I would have deleted the whole scene and started over.

But that's for later, right??

Asingrey, your word count is smashing!! And Pons, yes, way to go, girl!!!! Vijaya, hope your buzzy brain was working overtime! and hairaplenty, 3265 - wow! even with killing those darlings? Glad to know you got to understand the characters better - that makes writing them so much easier.

Onward, yes?!
#72 - November 06, 2017, 09:06 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I have managed to turn off my internal editor completely - at least for a while. This goes against my nature which wants to make things as perfect as possible before moving on. I really need to get the bones of this story in place, though, then I'll welcome Internal Editor back. I kind of miss her.

:congratulations to everyone on all the progress.  :yay
#73 - November 06, 2017, 09:12 AM

Poster Plus
I agree, Pons. I do better when I have an easier goal, and then pass it and keep going. I get more done that way.

I don't think 500 words is a puny goal.

I'm glad to hear someone saying that because my daily word count is not much at all but I feel I'm making progress.  The thing is I cannot turn off my inner editor at all--I keep going back and refining or elaborating. Oh, well, at least so far I like what I am doing.

#74 - November 06, 2017, 11:26 AM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press, 2015
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
2000 words  today, but kind of fried afterwards and didn't check emails etc. till just now.... Did dinner, grocery shopping and a long walk afterwards, instead.

Congrats to all those really high word counts.
#75 - November 06, 2017, 06:13 PM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Congrats, Melody and Cathie.   :star2   I'm on target with my 500.
#76 - November 06, 2017, 07:40 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Wow, Melody, that's fantastic!    :stars3   :star2
#77 - November 07, 2017, 01:53 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
I got 1,000  words yesterday. That seems to be my average for a week day. Congratulations to everyone who keeps making progress!
#78 - November 07, 2017, 05:41 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Asingrey, that's wonderful!    :goldstar

I'm in today at 382. All dialogue. I can't seem to get these guys to DO SOMETHING!    :lalala
#79 - November 07, 2017, 06:03 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Hairaplenty, that's what's been happening with mine, too!

I haven't written a word yet today. Voted, returned a shirt, went to the grocery store...I think I'm procrastinating because I have NO IDEA where this story is going right now! I have to come up with something other than the ending, right??? grrrr...

But everyone else is forging forward so  :star2 :star2 :star2 there are some sparkles to help us along!!

#80 - November 07, 2017, 09:20 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm in today at 382. All dialogue. I can't seem to get these guys to DO SOMETHING!    :lalala

Haha, how about I send over a parrot to liven things up. I'm not kidding you, I ended up adding a parrot as a joke to my historical but he was such a great character, I ended up weaving a whole subplot that makes the book richer. So parrots for all!!! Won't it be funny if all our stories had one common element.

Ladies, you're doing great. I aim to follow your example this afternoon. Having a cup of tea right now.
#81 - November 07, 2017, 10:00 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Well, I just dove in and wrote something. At least I split up the characters so they can't talk to each other anymore!!
#82 - November 07, 2017, 10:15 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
7 day total - 4296
#83 - November 07, 2017, 03:21 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Nice, Pons! Vijaya, I'd love to work a parrot into mine! Don't think I can, though. Rats.

Just wrote some even though I had no idea where it was going (I need to plan more next time), and it actually got a bit more interesting!
#84 - November 08, 2017, 02:59 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
500 yesterday, 400 today. Hopefully, the next few days will be better....
#85 - November 08, 2017, 07:43 PM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Yesterday and today for a total of 402.
Vijaya, I had a Minah bird in one of my books. He was so much fun to write. In real life he would, Someone's at the door. In the voice of the person he learned it from and it was so real and creepy because that person had passed on. In my book, he used a few off-color words.   :drinking2
#86 - November 09, 2017, 05:56 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Melody and hairaplenty,  :yourock!

One thing I'm learning from this is I'd rather take several months and put a lot more thought into a draft than do it without having a clear thought of how the story arc is going to play out and just diving in. But I'm still glad I'm trying this and I'm still going to write (mostly garbage) to keep the word count going.

Hopefully there will be some gems in there somewhere that will resurrect into a decent story down the line.

and there's always the dragons... :dragonchase
#87 - November 09, 2017, 07:45 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Agreed, J Friday. I learned that lesson a few years back. I'm reworking a draft, so I'm not being so tough on myself on word count because I'm having to delete a lot from my original draft.

But...1100 words today.
#88 - November 09, 2017, 07:26 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Boy, JFriday, that's for sure. It's REALLY hard to get in the groove. In fact, I can't FIND the groove. I keep hoping it will show up.   More    :drinking2
#89 - November 09, 2017, 10:14 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I think I've lost my groove this week. I have a rough idea of where my people are going, but I can't get motivated to get them there. It's been a really stressful week at work  with a lot of overtime, so I'm hoping I can get back with it this weekend. Just a little disheartened. I know if I get started then ideas will come. I just can't seem to get started. Any ideas? Although, a parrot might actually work...   :eh2
#90 - November 10, 2017, 06:10 AM

Members:

SandyM and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.