SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

NaNoWriMo2017

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Sandy, maybe if you just skip to an interesting scene - it doesn't matter where in the story it is,  just something you can wrap your brain around and has something happening - you'll find it starts to flow. I've done that a couple of times now. And hold your place by putting something like:

Much too boring here. Moving to a better scene. I'll fix this later, somehow.

And count that in your word count. ;D

hairaplenty, maybe that will work for you, too, and you'll get that groove. I absolutely LOVE writing when everything else falls away, time stops, and I'm lost in the story!!

And Melody, I think next year I'll be more reasonable and maybe work on a draft, too!
#91 - November 10, 2017, 07:02 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Sandy, please don't feel bad. Remember what *your* goal is--and work towards it. If you need to take a day to brainstorm, do that. And yay that a parrot might actually work :grin3

Hair, how fun to read both about your fictional and real mynah bird. We had one that died from a fright--the cat was stalking it. We also had a parrot we rescued who was obnoxious and didn't say a word. But I loved my grandmother's parrots who were very tame and had a large vocabulary and sang songs.

You all are doing so good :typing  I'm still scribbling in my notebook--and it's slow (2-3 pages per day). But my goal is to have a first draft, so however it happens is good.
#92 - November 10, 2017, 07:15 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I fell off the wagon yesterday, but am ahead in my word count, so I'm still on track with 500 words a day. Yesterday just had too many boring, must-deal-with, life details in it.
Much too boring here. Moving to a better scene. I'll fix this later, somehow.
I do this, too, but it's usually with a scene that is going to require a lot of thought and finesse. I'll put a place holder that says something like - Conversation about what the clue means here. And you bet I count those words in my daily total. :) If I spend too much time working on one scene or detail, it stops my forward momentum. I've just got to get through the blasted rough draft. Then I can enjoy myself revising and agonizing over scenes and details.  :grin3

#93 - November 10, 2017, 08:18 AM
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:23 AM by Pons »

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Okay, thanks guys! I'm feeling much better. I appreciate the ideas. I'm getting more excited about going back to it after work tonight. (It also doesn't hurt that the sun is shining after 3 gloomy days!) It's always nice to know that you're not the only one. Happy Writing!  :thankyou
#94 - November 10, 2017, 08:34 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Oh, SandyM, I'm right there with you. Blank paging it!   :lalala
#95 - November 10, 2017, 10:00 AM

Poster Plus
 I'm still going back and reworking things but it's making things better. So I keep putt-putting right along, feeling good about making a little progress in the right direction each day.   :writing3
#96 - November 10, 2017, 12:34 PM
Beyond Suspicion, YA Mystery, Poisoned Pen Press, 2015
http://www.catherineawinnbooks.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Cathie, I just saw your word count. You're doing great.  :cheerleader
#97 - November 10, 2017, 02:33 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
500 words today
#98 - November 10, 2017, 04:52 PM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Poster Plus
Cathie, I just saw your word count. You're doing great.  :cheerleader
Thank you, and I hope to make your count today my total word count by the end of November!  :yourock
#99 - November 10, 2017, 05:14 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Your ideas all worked! I'm back to writing again. I even put the parrot in (granted, my story already included shape-shifters, so adding a parrot was surprisingly easy). I think my problem is that I've reached the part of the book where I really need to sit down and figure out some of the details, so I know where it's going. You know, the part that I've been saying "oh, I'll just figure that out later. " Well, it's later.  So, I decided to just write and see where the story decides to take me.      :dogwalk

Everyone's word counts are looking awesome, by the way!  :dancer
#100 - November 12, 2017, 02:06 PM

Poster Plus
Your ideas all worked!
Yay, Sandy!  :stars3
#101 - November 12, 2017, 05:21 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Great progress all. I have 4K. I made myself :typing instead of scrawling in my notebook.
#102 - November 12, 2017, 05:52 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Wow! Vijaya, that's awesome.
I'm still here. Hanging on by a shirt tail. I've spent some time revising the ending of my novel out on submission. In case I get any nibbles.   :naughty
 For the Nanowrimo I've done 1047 since last Thursday.
I took a plotting planner off the internet which asks questions, and got my juices going. Its helped me get into my characters and storyline, more.
Sounds like everyone is still plugging along.  :yay   We are amazing.
#103 - November 13, 2017, 06:18 AM
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:28 PM by hairaplenty »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I'm a day behind, but hope to catch up. The rough draft process is doing it's job, though. Story details are becoming clearer and plot elements (like naturally compelling reasons for characters to be where they are, doing what they're doing) have begun to present themselves.

:cheerleader for Progress!
#104 - November 13, 2017, 09:10 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Glad everyone is doing so well! I'm learning a lot, like I don't want to just go for a word count again, I want to write like I usually do - slow and steady. But I'm still glad I'm doing this. I've always wanted to do a NaNoWriMo.

I think I'm sort of cheating now, though.  :embarrassed2 My story died. I mean, it really died. I've always had more of a plan before, and knew the ending when I started, so I knew where the story was going. But this time I had no clear path when I started, and just thought - well, I'll write and it will come. They say that's what happens during NaNoWriMo, so I'll go for it.

Well, it didn't come. I kept beating it, but after about 20K it was making less and less sense. It got to the point where it was not enjoyable at all, because I didn't know what to write when I sat down, and I didn't want to think about it when I wasn't at the computer (and I usually LOVE to think about my stories). So yesterday I started another complete plot line that I'd thought about before and I took off with that. It has basically nothing to do with the beginning, but at least I have something to write about again.

I figure I will at least have several good scenes by the end of all this, and two stories I can think about pursuing. That's enough.  I hope.
#105 - November 13, 2017, 10:19 AM

Poster Plus
 JFriday, I do not think you are cheating at all. If the story died, it died, and you are going forward with a new path. I think that's good and all the words count!  :writing3
#106 - November 13, 2017, 01:07 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I agree.  That's definitely not cheating, JFriday! Did you read Julie Murphy's NaNo pep talk today? It was talking about this exact idea! Basically, with every writing project we walk away with something new, something magical - even if it's just one small idea or one small scene. And that makes it time well-spent.  :grin3
#107 - November 13, 2017, 01:48 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
needing to stop and do some revisions so won't have word counts for a few days. Once I start writing new stuff again, I'll post
#108 - November 13, 2017, 03:37 PM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
hey, thanks, guys. You've made me feel better. :hearts
#109 - November 14, 2017, 11:34 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
JFriday, I don't see any cheating. Just time to alter your path.

Day 14 and I made it to 7007 words. I know I'll fall behind closer to Thanksgiving, but I am pleased to have make it this far. I am tempted to stop and revise, too, but I'm forcing myself to move forward with one of the roughest drafts ever, but still a draft. Details are falling into place.
#110 - November 14, 2017, 12:50 PM
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:13 PM by Pons »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
JFriday, I'm sorry your story died. I definitely need to know the ending and the major signposts along the way before I begin. So many stories begin for me with a character in a pickle and sometimes the writing reveals the plot and other times not. Good for you for knowing what works for you.

Wrote another 1000 words today for a total of 5K. What I'm not liking is the haphazard way this is happening. Definitely NOT my style. I want to go back and reorganize but I think I need to keep going forward. Look what happened to Lot's wife!
#111 - November 14, 2017, 06:06 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Congratulations to everyone sticking with it.

JFriday--I always keep my incomplete stories. I've often used parts of them again. Lots of false starts in this business. Good for you for trying.
#112 - November 15, 2017, 04:57 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
J Friday that has happened to me before too. That's why I wanted to do a draft this time that was in pretty good shape so most of the words wouldn't be wasted. But, hey, two stories is not a bad problem to have. Maybe they will end up as novellas? And it's always good to find out where a story is going. Sometimes you just don't know until you dig in. So at least now you know....

No new word count today, but I spent time revising and outlining more clearly so I know where to take the already drafted scenes. Will start up again with new stuff tomorrow....
#113 - November 15, 2017, 06:19 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I wrote a synopsis and proper outline given I'm all over the place and I'm totally counting those words, about a 1000. Wrote another 1000 for a total of 7K. It's good to have a roadmap that I can refer to finally.
#114 - November 15, 2017, 07:07 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oklahoma
Checking in to say everyone is going great! It's so much more fun with all the company.
#115 - November 15, 2017, 07:21 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I'm writing! Just not on my Nanowrimo project. And Vijaya, I'm all over the place and I'm totally counting those words   ME TOO! So about 480 words for yesterday. 
We're halfway there, gang. We've got this.   :yay

Magic dust for hard-working writers:     :star2        :star2
#116 - November 16, 2017, 04:28 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Yes, half-way there! Yay!

Everyone is doing stunningly well.  Vijaya, yes, count that as words. I'd hate to admit what I've counted toward word count!

I've actually gone back to the original story line, now that I've had a couple of days of rest from it while I worked on another direction, and started working on the first one again. I figure now I'll follow each one until it starts limping, then I'll go back to the other one. And maybe something here will turn into a real, live story! One never knows.

More  :star2 :star2 :star2 :star2 to help us along.
#117 - November 16, 2017, 06:24 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Way to go, V.  If I count my revisions and notes that def. takes me to my daily word count.

JFriday, good for you for picking it up again.

1200 new words today so far. Back to the grind. Glad to see so many sticking with it.
#118 - November 16, 2017, 11:29 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
My husband picked up a consulting job (good news), but now we're sharing a computer, so it may slow me down. I'm still pleased with my progress though. It's gotten me over a hump.
#119 - November 16, 2017, 02:25 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Well, I've run out of story, too. As in, I've reached the end of the story as I had outlined it. I definitely sped through it because I felt rushed, so I know I need to go back for some world-building and to write the scenes I purposely skipped. But my day job has just been incredibly stressful and I'm really struggling with my creativity in the evenings. So, I think I'm just going to write some fun scenes in the same world...maybe they'll fit in the book, but maybe not. Maybe I'll work on some background material. (It counts if it's all in the same world, right? I mean, if I counted my written conversations to myself about how to fix scenes later, then I'm pretty sure I can count random scenes, too.) My main goal this month was to write everyday and to prove to myself that I can make the time to do it. That part is going well.   :writing3

Everyone is doing great! I'm impressed with everyone's effort and I agree that it's much more fun with you guys around! 
#120 - November 16, 2017, 03:27 PM

Members: