SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Zombelina by Kristyn Crow (Rhyming series )

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Hi, fellow "Rhymers," Has anyone read the recently published RHYMING Zombelina books by Kristyn Crow? They seem to me somehow different from most recent PB's and rhyming PB's, different in a "good" way. They are longer than most PB's (40 pages) publ by Bloomsbury, seem to be v popular. Ages 4-8. . I can understand why they were published ;whereas, with many new PB's, I am clueless. I "get" them; however, I don't really "get" PB's like I Want My Hat Back (something like that). Zombelina books are also the kind of books I would have liked as a child, exciting, fantasy, real story,  girl stuff, takes you out of your real world, character development, not about veggies or cooking or engineering or...hard to express...engaging fantasy world. They are not fairy tales, which were my all-time favorites, but they create a fun imaginary world with the kinds of things and conflicts and successes little girls adore. Or did. I don't think it's the age range thing either. They are definitely illustrated like PB's, but it's hard to express the subtle difference. They are though the kind of PB's I'd like to write, in fact, do write,  and didn't know we "were allowed" to  write. More depth? More words?? (800 or so). More...story??? More complex? Maybe, less dependence on the illus to understand the story? Maybe someone else can explain why they seem different and hopeful better than I can. Hopeful to a rhyming writer, that is,  who still doesn't understand the "mystique" of the typical modern PB. Yet they have a good publisher, popular. I'd love for others to check these out, see what you think, discuss, if you will.  Also, if there are others like Zombelina, rhyming, I'd love to know about them. Thanks.
#1 - October 28, 2017, 07:07 PM
Carol Samuelson-Woodson

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Hmm, that's a good challenge -- longer rhyming PBs. Rosie Revere, Engineer and other Andrea Beatty books might be along the lines of what you're looking for, Carol. I'm a fan of Zombelina too, and I also like slightly longer stories that are more for the K-2  set.
#2 - October 29, 2017, 05:35 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

DEADWOOD, Spencer Hill, 2014
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Thanks for mentioning this. I will check it out!
#3 - October 29, 2017, 05:48 AM
Wiggle-wiggle, Scratch-Scratch, Itch-Itch-Itch 2014
King of the Jungle 2015
Pink Riding Hood and the Warty stick Monster 2016
Song of the Whippoorwill

Members: