SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Working in charcoal--size?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Hi, all! I am a long-time writer, although published only in NF/adult lit, and a novice to illustration. The book I am working on is set in 1913, and I want to use my favorite medium, charcoal, to give it a period look. The problem? It is a MG novel, so the printed pages will be pretty small. Charcoal works best when used on a larger scale. It's hard to do fine detailing in charcoal on a small scale. Every source I have checked says the original art must be no more than twice as big as the intended size for publication. That would make working in charcoal very difficult! So my question is: Can charcoal illustration work for a MG novel? Can I work large-scale and have it reproduce well? Does anyone know of any MG novels that have been illustrated in charcoal? I could switch to pencil or pen-and-ink, but I LOOOOVE charcoal!
#1 - November 04, 2017, 11:15 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I would suggest you experiment. Do a full, shaded (if that's your vision) illustration at the size you want to work in, then scan and reduce it to the size you'll save as the art file for the printer. Print it out for yourself to see if reducing it makes it too dark and/or "messy" once reduced a lot.
I don't know if any of the chapter book or MG Illustrators use charcoal but if not they certainly seem to use soft pencil and shading often getting that charcoal effect.
#2 - November 09, 2017, 01:21 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Members: