Writer, and Other
|Region:||Australia East/New Zealand|
|Age Levels:||5-10, 11-13, and 14-17|
|Will Travel:||Anywhere in the world|
I’m Sheryl Gwyther, an author from Brisbane, Australia. I write children’s novels, school plays, short stories and articles, chapter books, and Flash Fiction for adults.
I enjoy being a guest presenter at Australian Youth Literature Festivals, at SCBWI Conferences and in-school Writer-Residency programs, and workshops.
Recently, my work-in-progress, SWEET ADVERSITY, a Mid-grade historical adventure set in the Great Depression in Australia was awarded a SCBWI ARA – Work of Outstanding Promise grant. It’s the first time an Australian has won this award.
I’ve also been a recipient of two ASA (Australian Society of Authors) Mentorships and two May Gibbs Children’s Literature Trust Fellowships. My roles as SCBWI ARA, and as a director on the Board of the ASA allow me to be a passionate advocate for writers, children’s books and literacy.
Sheryl’s school sessions are suitable for Preps to Year 8 classes, but can be adapted for High School students. She also leads workshops for adult writing groups or anyone interested in improving writing skills.
This includes writing/reading sessions that …
- Use her books as well as books written/illustrated by others to demonstrate how story ideas are everywhere
- Hands-on activities showing how to develop ideas into viable plots
- Activities to help create real-life characters
- Investigate how historical research can help stories come alive
- Explore ways to re-tell narratives through play-writing and graphic stories.