Other, and Writer
|Region:||Australia East/New Zealand|
|Age Levels:||5-10, 11-13, and 14-17|
|Will Travel:||Anywhere in the world|
|SCBWI Profile:||Member Profile|
I’m Sheryl Gwyther, an author from Brisbane, Australia. I write children’s novels, school plays, short stories and articles, chapter books, and Flash Fiction for adults.
I love presenting workshops at schools, libraries, literature festivals, SCBWI Conferences and in-school Writer-Residency programs.
My work-in-progress, SWEET ADVERSITY, a Mid-grade historical adventure set in the Great Depression in Australia was awarded a SCBWI ARA – Work of Outstanding Progress Grant. It’s the first time an Australian has won this award.
I’ve also been a recipient of two Australian Society of Authors’ Mentorships and two May Gibbs Children’s Literature Trust Fellowships.
My role as a SCBWI ARA in Australia allows me to advocate for writers, children’s books and literacy.
Sheryl’s school sessions are suitable for Preps to Year 8 classes, but can be adapted for High School students. She also leads workshops for adult writing groups or anyone interested in improving writing skills.
This includes writing/reading sessions that …
- Use her books as well as books written/illustrated by others to demonstrate how story ideas are everywhere
- Hands-on activities showing how to develop ideas into viable plots
- Activities to help create real-life characters
- Investigate how historical research can help stories come alive
- Explore ways to re-tell narratives through play-writing and graphic stories.