Who We Are & What We Do
Founded in 1971 by a group of Los Angeles-based children's writers, the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators is a non-profit, 501 (c)3 organization which is one of the largest existing organizations for writers and illustrators. It is the only professional organization specifically for those individuals writing and illustrating for children and young adults in the fields of children’s literature, magazines, film, television and multimedia. Several of the most prestigious children’s literature professionals sit on the SCBWI Board of Advisors.
The SCBWI acts as a network for the exchange of knowledge between writers, illustrators, editors, publishers, agents, librarians, educators, booksellers and others involved with literature for young people. As a unified body, the SCBWI acts as a powerful force to effect important changes within the field of children's literature, promoting new copyright legislation, equitable treatment of authors and artists and fair contract terms.
There are currently more than 22,000 members worldwide, in over 70 regional chapters writing and illustrating in all genres for young readers, making it the largest children's writing organization in the world.
The SCBWI gives its members exclusive access to the world of children's publishing with such benefits as:
– The SCBWI sponsors two annual International Conferences on Writing and Illustrating for Children, our Los Angeles Summer Conference and our Mid-Winter Conference in New York City.
– The spectacular SCBWI regions offer dozens of regional conferences and events throughout the world. See what's happening in your Regional Chapter!
– The quartly magazine, SCBWI Bulletin, offers thousands of dollars in Awards and Grants for writers and illustrators, and provides vital market information on the craft and business of writing and selling books for young readers.
– The SCBWI also offers an array of Awards and Grants for authors and illustraters. Don't miss an invaluable opportunity!
– SCBWI's The Book provides up-to-the-minute publishing information for children's publishing, including literary agent directories, book reviewer directories, "How-to" articles on query letters, getting started in children's publishing and much more!
– Discounts on literature subscriptions and more!
– Check out our spectacular Membership Benefits