P.A.L. stands for "Published and Listed." This level of membership is open to those whose books, articles, poems, stories, illustrations, photographs, films, television or electronic media for children have been commercially published by one of the organizations listed in the SCBWI Market Surveys. P.A.L. members may have a speaker's listing in the "Find A Speaker" area of the site. They are also able to sell books at certain regional events where such sales are organized and sponsored by the regional chapter.
When registering, if you don't see your publisher listed on the drop-down menus, simply enter the name of your publisher in the space below the drop down menu. By entering the name of your unlisted publisher you will be added to SCBWI as a "FULL" member.
We have over 200 publishers listed ranging from the big five and their imprints to small independent publishing houses. A publishing house must meet the following criteria to qualify for PAL status:
PAL Publisher Guidelines
1. The author/illustrator shall not have paid any money or consideration for the publication, marketing, editing and/or distribution or any other payment of their work in any format. This would eliminate all vanity publishing and subsidy publishing.
2. The publisher (whether traditional or new media) must have a professional editorial process prior to publication, at no charge to the author/illustrator.
3. There must exist a means of broad distribution to the retail customer.
4. The publisher must publish works from more than one author and illustrator, or family. Thus, if there are several illustrators but only one author (or vice versa) it will not qualify.
5. The publisher must have published at least one prior full list, or in the case of a digital publisher, have been in business for a minimum of one year.
6. The publisher, whether traditional or new media, provides a means of marketing at no cost to the author/illustrator.
If you believe your publishing house should qualify for PAL status you may send an inquiry to Bonnie Bader.
You may also submit the PAL Inquiry Form. The SCBWI PAL Inquiry committee will verify your publisher for possible inclusion in our list. There is no guarantee that the publisher will be included. That review may take up to 45 business days to receive a response. Please note that only books publihsed by a PAL publisher qualify for a PAL status.