The Book Launch Award provides authors or illustrators with $2,000 in funds to help the promotion of their newly published work and take the marketing strategy into their own creative hands.
Congratulations to the 2019 winner Karol Ruth Silverstein for Cursed (Charlesbridge).
Deadline: July 1, 2020.
Eligibility: You must be a current SCBWI member. PAL and full members are eligible and must have a book with a publication date of 2020.
1. One to two Grants of up to $2,000 each will be awarded annually.
2. Money from the Grant may be used to promote your book including (but not limited to):
-Speaking engagements and book tours
-Advertising, posters, postcards
-Book donations to local schools and libraries
3. Grants will be awarded based on:
-Strong marketing and implementation plan
-Demonstrated need (e.g. your publishing house is not dedicating a lot of marketing money for your book)
-Quality and professionalism of your synopsis
4. Winners must use the money in the first calendar year and provide SCBWI with documentation of use of grant money.
5. Winners will also send in a 250-word article appropriate for publication in the SCBWI Bulletin about your marketing experience.
6. Email to: email@example.com with “First Name_Last Name Book Launch App” in the subject line.
– A very brief cover letter in the body of the email with the name of your book, the publication date, and a short bio.
– A short synopsis of why you are applying for this grant AND your marketing plan of no more than one page attached as a PDF.
7. Applications must not exceed TWO pages.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Are self-published authors eligible? Not for this award. Please see the SPARK Award.
Can I apply for a book that has been published prior to the current year? No, the award is to provide a big marketing push right when the book is launched.
SCBWI reserves the right not to confer this award in any given year.
Other questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org