The annual Crystal Kite Award is a peer-given award to recognize great books from 15 SCBWI regional divisions around the world.
Submission Deadline is March 21, 2018.
Preview period is March 24 – 31, 2018.
Round 1 voting begins April 1, 2018.
Round 1 voting ends April 14, 2018 (at 5pm US pacific time)
Round 2 voting begins April 18, 2018.
Round 2 voting ends April 30, 2018 (at 5pm US pacific time)
Winners announced May 18, 2018.
1. You must be a current member before submissions open to nominate your book.
2. Nominated books must be a PAL book first published within the previous calendar year. Click here for more information on PAL publishers.
3. Self-Published books cannot be nominated.
1. Enter your book by adding it to your publications on your member profile (More info on adding your books)
2. Indicate that you would like the book entered by clicking the box.
3. We have strict anti-spamming rules. Once your book is entered you may promote the Award, but not your specific title, on social media and to personal friends but you may not:
– Send e-mails to people you do not know to promote your book
– Use the SCBWI messaging system to promote your book
– Use any SCBWI discussion board or listserve to promote your book
Doing any of these will immediately flag your book for deletion in the Crystal Kite Awards. Please read the Frequently Asked Questions for further details.
4. Winners are announced in May in a press release and on the SCBWI website/social media. Winners receive a crystal, engraved kite award, an opportunity to present at a regional conference, a silver sticker for their winning book, and one winner will be chosen to present at the LA Summer Conference.
1. You must be a current member to vote prior to voting opening.
2. You may only vote once per voting round.
Round One: April 1- April 14
Round Two: April 18-April 30
3. You may only vote for a book that is in your own division:
· California, Hawaii
· West (Washington, Northern Idaho, Oregon, Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota)
· Southwest (Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Southern Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico)
· Midwest (Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio)
· New England (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire. Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island)
· New York
· Texas, Oklahoma
· Atlantic (Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, Washington DC, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland)
· Mid-South (Kansas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Mississippi, Louisiana)
· Southeast (Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama)
· UK, Ireland
· Middle East, India, Asia
· Australia, New Zealand
· Other International
Check out the Frequently Asked Question Page which includes voting instructions.
Still have questions? You can e-mail Christopher Cheng, our SCBWI Crystal Kite Member Choice Award Coordinator.
SCBWI reserves the right not to confer this award in any given year.