Instituted in 1973, the Golden Kite Awards are the only children’s literary award judged by a jury of peers. More than 1,000 books are entered each year. The Golden Kite Awards recognize excellence in children’s literatures in five categories: Young Reader and Middle Grade Fiction, Young Adult Fiction, Nonfiction, Picture Book Text, and Picture Book Illustration.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE 2019 AWARDS WILL OPEN IN TWO WAVES:
JUNE 30, 2018 (for books published between January-June 2018)
NOVEMBER 15, 2018 (for books published between July-December 2018)
1. Authors/Illustrators must be a current member through February 2019 to have a book submitted to the Golden Kite Awards.
2. Only books written or translated into English are accepted.
3. Please Submit FOUR copies of your book. All submissions MUST BE in completed, bound form. NO GALLEYS.
4. You may submit your book to ONE category only, except in the case of Picture Book Text and Picture Book Illustration.
5. If submitting to both Picture Book Text and Picture Book Illustration BOTH author and illustrator must be current members and EIGHT copies must be submitted.
6. The book submitted must be published in the previous calendar year (2019 winners published in 2018).
7. Individuals and Publishers can submit for the Golden Kites.
8. Self-published books are not eligible, however you may enter your book in the Spark Award for self-published books.
9. Categories include: Picture Book Text, Picture Book Illustration, Middle Grade, Young Adult, Nonfiction for Younger Readers, Nonfiction for Older Readers.
10. One Golden Kite Award Winner and one Honor Book will be chosen per category. Winners and Honorees will receive a commemorative poster also sent to publishers, bookstores, libraries, and schools; a press release; an announcement on the SCBWI website; and on SCBWI Social Networks
11. Winners and publishing houses will be notified in January, 2019.
Submission Guidelines for Publishers will be sent out directly. Please contact the Golden Kite Coordinator if you have not received the guidelines.
Click here for submission Guidelines for INDIVIDUALS
Questions? Contact the Golden Kite Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
SCBWI reserves the right not to confer this award in any given year.