Instituted in 1973, the Golden Kite Awards are the only children’s literary award judged by a jury of peers. More than 1,000 books are entered each year. The Golden Kite Awards recognize excellence in children’s literatures in six categories: Young Reader and Middle Grade Fiction, Young Adult Fiction, Nonfiction Text for Younger Readers, Nonfiction Text for Older Readers, Picture Book Text, and Picture Book Illustration.
This year, the Golden Kite winner in each category will receive $2,500 plus an additional $1,000 to donate to a non-profit organization of their choice! And each honor winner will receive $500 plus an additional $250 to donate.
Winners of the 2020 Golden Kites will be announced on January 21.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE 2021 AWARDS WILL OPEN IN TWO WAVES:
MAY 1 – JUNE 30, 2020 (for books published between January-June 2020)
JULY 1 – NOVEMBER 15, 2020 (for books published between July-December 2020)
1. Authors/Illustrators must be a current member through December 2020 to have a book submitted to the Golden Kite Awards.
2. Only books written or translated into English are accepted.
3. Please Submit FOUR copies of your book. All submissions MUST BE in completed, bound form. NO GALLEYS.
4. You may submit your book to ONE category only, except in the case of Picture Book Text and Picture Book Illustration.
5. If submitting to both Picture Book Text and Picture Book Illustration BOTH author and illustrator must be current members and EIGHT copies must be submitted.
6. The book submitted must be published in 2020,
7. Individuals and Publishers can submit for the Golden Kites.
8. Self-published books are not eligible, however you may enter your book in the Spark Award for self-published books.
9. Although SCBWI Board members are eligible to enter their books in the Golden Kite, the Board members have decided that should any of them win, they will donate the prize money to a non-profit organization of their choice.
10. Categories include: Picture Book Text, Picture Book Illustration, Middle Grade, Young Adult, Nonfiction Text for Younger Readers, Nonfiction Text for Older Readers.
11. One Golden Kite Award Winner and one Honor Book will be chosen per category. Winning books will be included in a press release, an announcement on the SCBWI website and on SCBWI Social Networks, and will receive gold stickers for their books;
12. Winners and publishing houses will be notified in January, 2021.
Submission Guidelines for Publishers will be sent out directly. Please contact the Golden Kite Coordinator if you have not received the guidelines.
Click here for submission Guidelines for INDIVIDUALS
Questions? Contact the Golden Kite Coordinator: email@example.com.
SCBWI reserves the right not to confer this award in any given year.