Magazine Merit Award
The SCBWI Magazine Merit Awards are presented by the Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators annually for original magazine work for young people. Each year, the SCBWI presents four plaques, one in each category of fiction, nonfiction, illustration, and poetry, each year to honor members’ outstanding original magazine work published during that year. The works chosen are those that exhibit excellence in writing and illustration, and genuinely appeal to the interests and concerns of young people.
SCBWI reserves the right not to confer this award in any given year.
2020 winners have been announced! We apologize for the delay.
Congratulations to the winners.
Fiction: “The Fog Test” by Pamela Love
Poetry: “Moving Day Villanelle” by Carol L. MacKay
Nonfiction: “Powder Art” by Viji K. Chary
Illustration: “Saving the village bicycle” by Hatem Aly
SUBMISSIONS CLOSED. Stay tuned for information on how to submit through our digital platform.
- Applicants must be current SCBWI members.
- Every magazine work for young people – writer, artist, or photographer – is eligible during the year of original publication. In the case of co-authored work, both authors must be SCBWI members.
Members must submit their own work. Required are four copies of each of the following:
- (a) The work in published form – illustrators must send color photocopies or tearsheets.
- (b) Proof of publication showing the name of the magazine and date of issue (contents page or verification from editor).
- (c) Cover sheets must contain: the member’s name as listed by the SCBWI, mailing address and phone number, title of entry, category (fiction, nonfiction, illustration, or poetry), name of publication, and date of issue.
- (d) When submitting both article text and illustrations for consideration, send eight copies: four that stipulate author entry (fiction, nonfiction, or poetry) and four that stipulate illustrator entry.
Submissions will not be returned. Please mail them to:
SCBWI Magazine Merit Award
6363 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 425
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Questions? Please email Sarah Diamond at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VIEW PAST WINNER