Sid Fleischman Humor Award
Given with the Golden Kite Awards, the Sid Fleischman Humor Award is an award for authors whose work exemplifies the excellence of writing in the genre of humor. The SCBWI established the award to honor humorous work, so often overlooked in children’s literature by other award committees.
SCBWI reserves the right not to confer this award in any given year.
ABOUT THE AWARD
The inaugural recipient of the SCBWI Humor Award, Fleischman was honored for his extensive body of work at the 32nd Annual SCBWI Conference in Los Angeles, in August 2003. SCBWI President Stephen Mooser joined Executive Director Lin Oliver in presenting the award. “Sid the Magician may not be as famous as Sid the Writer. It’s one thing to make someone laugh. But his ability to do that in so many stories with such poignancy is nothing short of magic,” said Mooser. “I couldn’t think of anyone more deserving of this prestigious award and honor.”
Fleischman has written over 35 books for children, including the classic McBroom series, Jim Ugly, Humbug Mountain, The Midnight Horse, By the Great Horn Spoon!, and his autobiography, The Abracadabra Kid, about his early career as a young magician. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 1987 for The Whipping Boy. In addition to this illustrious turn in children’s literature, Fleischman has also written motion pictures that featured such talents as John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, and Lauren Bacall.
- Entrants must be SCBWI PAL members.
- Every book written by an SCBWI PAL member (fiction, nonfiction, picture book) is eligible for consideration during the year of original publication. This award is for writers only.
- Books submitted to the Golden Kite award may also be considered for the Sid Fleischman Humor Award. To submit to both awards, please email an additional copy of your book to the mailing address below.
- Books published from January 2021 – June 2021 must be received by July 1, 2021. Books published from July 2021 – December 2021 must be received by December 15, 2021.
- The Sid Fleischman Humor Award nominees will be given to a separate panel of judges for further consideration. The winner of the Sid Fleischman Humor Award will be selected, and the author and his/her publishing house notified, in January 2022.
Golden Kite Coordinator
SCBWI Sid Fleischman Humor Award
6363 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 425
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Questions? Please email Golden Kite Coordinator, Bonnie Bader at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VIEW PAST WINNERS