SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Near-Rhyme

Discussion started on

AimeeJane

I know I'm not going to change the children's writing industry, so I'm adapting, but...  I just have to ask.  Am I the only one who really loves near-rhyme?  When I hear or read near-rhyme, it rarely jumps out at me.  Other times, I do hear it and think, "Hey, that's clever!"

Is it my musical background?  Years of singing in choruses and along with the radio?  (Lyrics are FULL of near rhyme.)

I've been convinced that no one will publish poetry for children that isn't done in perfect rhyme, and I'm accepting that.  (Really!  I am!)    :D  ;)  I'm curious, however, to know if anyone else is a closet-near-rhyme lover.
#1 - August 28, 2006, 10:57 AM

Pickles

I have written things on purpose with near-rhyme, but it wasn't intended for the children's market. I kind of like the "hit and miss" feel of it. But yeah, at least here in the states it wouldn't make it...unless it was an obvious free verse poem.

Now in the batch of poems which placed third in WIN..there was one with near rhymes and a strong rhythm, but it wasn't a metrical, rhyming poem.
#2 - August 28, 2006, 11:44 AM

DeAnn M.O.

Hmm...can you give me an example of what you mean? Because I have a musical background too and the sound of near rhyme is like nails on a chalkboard by a screaming baby next to a dying cow. Okay, maybe not that bad. But it's close. It reminds me of one of my favorite David Letterman Lists:
The Top 10 Things that almost rhyme with Peas
fleece
pies
peace
etc.
And what makes you think it's clever? I say to each his own, but am curious about your thoughts.   :)
#3 - August 28, 2006, 11:53 AM

Pickles

I think when I do it, it's more assonance (repetition of vowel sounds) than rhyme and I use it in totally non-rhyming poems anyway..so it doesn't clunk admidst the true rhymes. Sometimes it's more of a visual thing. For example using undone, gone, bone, and none. In another poem, I use leaps, streets, and beat. In all of these, the words are end words. But again, I don't do it in traditional rhyming verse..either free or blank verse or some other non-rhyming form.
#4 - August 28, 2006, 12:44 PM

DeAnn M.O.

I got pulled away during my initial post and we must have been writing at the same time, Pickles. I didn't see your first post at all.

Oh yes, I am in total agreement about using near rhyme in non-rhyming forms. That doesn't bother me a bit. I guess since Aimee didn't mention free verse or blank verse I thought she was talking about using or seeing near rhyme in traditional rhyming verse and enjoying the near misses anyway.
#5 - August 28, 2006, 02:56 PM

KimberlyH

I love near rhyme like wishes/kisses, because it still rolls off my tongue easily, but combinations like gone/none, etc. feel more forced to me. Of course, if it's free verse, almost anything goes!:)

Kimberly
#6 - August 28, 2006, 05:16 PM

Pickles

From an educational standpoint, perfect rhymes are better when writing for young children. They are just grasping this concept of rhyming. I know for my boys sometimes they don't get the difference between a missed rhyme and a true one. Also, exact rhymes help build reading/spelling skills.
#7 - August 29, 2006, 07:16 AM

Members: