Inspiring Quotes

Discussion started on

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Sometimes, a quote just jumps out and really inspires.  Here's one that does that for me:

"Good morning.  This is God.  I will be handling all your problems today.  I will not need your help.  Have a good day."

:-)   What's your favorite religious quote?
#1 - July 21, 2004, 11:40 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

40 Days for Life
Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
"Let not they left hand know what thy right hand doeth."

My mother, bless her soul, practised this until the day she died -- it was not just a quote, she lived it.  I only know because of all the things people told me after she died.  When I was 12, I read Magnificent Obsession by Lloyd C. Douglas (which is based on this sentence in the Bible) and I still have to read it every 5 yrs or so....

Vijaya
#2 - July 21, 2004, 02:00 PM
Little Thief! Max & Midnight, Bound, Ten Easter Eggs & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com https://bodachbooks.blogspot.com

els

This one always made me laugh, but it is so true, and really stops me every now and again when I get too sure in myself of just who God is.

"God created man in his own image, and man has been returning the favor ever since."  Mark Twain

Vijaya, that is a lovely verse, and I love your story behind it.
#3 - July 21, 2004, 04:18 PM

tom

There's only one difference between a wise person and a fool. A fool has no wish to better himself.
#4 - July 22, 2004, 06:02 AM

tom

Sometimes, a quote just jumps out and really inspires.  Here's one that does that for me:

"Good morning.  This is God.  I will be handling all your problems today.  I will not need your help.  Have a good day."

:-)   What's your favorite religious quote?

I like this one. We can make decisions all we want but it seems to me much of the control we believe we have is an illusion because it's ego based and the ego is an illusion. Higher powers don't have such problems. ;D
#5 - July 22, 2004, 12:53 PM

els

I don't know, Tom- for something that is an illusion, the ego sure causes a lot of problems.  ;)
#6 - July 22, 2004, 01:18 PM

tom

Here's the really hard one to get your head around. The problems are an illusion. 
#7 - July 22, 2004, 02:02 PM

els

I guess we'll agree to disagree there, heh.

Although, I guess I agree with you to a point.  In the long run, the problems are meaningless, except in what kind of a person they help you become.  But I differ with you in that I believe in the absolute, concrete reality of this world/plane and everything in it, the seen and unseen, even though it is just a flawed shadowland of what is to come.

I should really get back to  :writing3: .
#8 - July 22, 2004, 05:03 PM

tom

All the best for your writing Els.  :)
#9 - July 22, 2004, 06:52 PM

MystiqueWriter1

This is cool have not been here for a while and look what I miss, everything and everyone I love u all, this is my inspiring message and qoute and then I'll say my favorite:

When Earth was created and our Mother's and Father's were ready to have children, but before our birth, God, our father in Heaven had an idea before anyone was created, God, himself had an idea of creating each unique soul to his purpose, and your unique creative soul was created by God's love to be sent to Earth to fulfill his mission. Do you know what it is? If not. Ask. For we were all born with a purpose.

Elaina

Okay now my favorite qoute that I love is: We live by faith, not by sight / from Corth. 5:7 That saying always has me thinking.
  ;D
#10 - August 10, 2004, 07:00 PM

Don't close your eyes.
This is your life.
Are you who you want to be?
This is your life.
Is it everything you dreamed it would be
when the world was younger
and you had everything to lose?

Switchfoot

This bit keeps rolling around inside me.
#11 - March 12, 2005, 02:02 PM
Plumb Crazy (Swoon Romance, 2014)
Big Fuzzy Coat (MeeGenius!)
Rembrandt and the Boy Who Drew Dogs (Barron's)

www.mollyblaisdell.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
Ha, Mollymom, we must be on the same wavelength. Have you noticed that is my sig line? (Look below....)
Kristy
#12 - March 12, 2005, 02:06 PM
A DANCE LIKE STARLIGHT (Philomel)
ME WITH YOU -- (Philomel)
MINI-RACER -- (Bloomsbury)
SURFER CHICK -- (Abrams)
http://kristydempsey.livejournal.com

Donna

"''Cause there is freedom/where the Spirit of the Lord is. 
  No more condemnation/ for we are daughters and sons..."

from a song I haven't yet finished based on 2 Corinthians 3:17, Romans 8:1 and 8:17, Galatians 3:29 and Ephesians 3:6

:writing:

Grace,
Donna E.
#13 - March 12, 2005, 02:18 PM
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 04:21 PM by Donna »

words4kids

But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.  -- from James 1:6

When long and steep the path appears or heavy is the task, Our Father says "Press on my child, one step is all I ask." -- from Our Daily Bread

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.  -- source unknown
#14 - March 12, 2005, 08:05 PM

ErinS

This quote may not sound as religious as others, but it is one of my favorites.  And it is something I remind myself of often.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home."   

I can't remember the author.  But my dad, who had a big-wig job in the government, had that framed and hanging in his office.  He always got a lot of comments on it.

Erin
#15 - March 12, 2005, 10:16 PM

daisyjune

One that I listen to daily in my car is from a chorus of a favorite song of mine...

"I will hold my head high
Lift my hands to the sky
Rise above all who try
to bring me down.......

....I wonder if my problems are too small,
Then I look back and realize
All your pain and sacrifice
and how you suffered for us all."

-------THIRD DAY
#16 - March 13, 2005, 04:34 AM

Donna

Third Day?  Love their music!

How about this one by Third Day also...

Sometimes I wonder why You even loved me
and why You ever chose to call me child
Then I remember
It's by Your sacrifice
I can say that I am YOURS and You are mine

Blessings
Donna

#17 - March 13, 2005, 07:16 AM

daisyjune

The whole WIRE album is inspirational.
Glad to meet another THIRD DAY fan.
Welcome to Verla's. :momkid:

Jenn
#18 - March 13, 2005, 10:47 AM

Donna

Way back in 95 (I think) I won their first album.  My husband I have every album since then and have been to 2 concerts.  Good stuff. :)

Okay, I'm done.  Continue on with the thread!    :writing3:

Peace,
Donna
#19 - March 13, 2005, 11:52 AM

Hey, Kristi, just love Switchfoot.
#20 - March 13, 2005, 03:22 PM
Plumb Crazy (Swoon Romance, 2014)
Big Fuzzy Coat (MeeGenius!)
Rembrandt and the Boy Who Drew Dogs (Barron's)

www.mollyblaisdell.blogspot.com

One of my favorite (I have  many) quotes is:
"Whatever you're full of spills out when you're bumped." It's an old Indian proverb. I heard Ravi Zacharias quote it once. I love it.

I also love Third Day, Switchfoot, and Jars of Clay. (I'm going to see Jars tonight, and Switchfoot is coming to our local fair this summer.)

Kelly
#21 - April 14, 2005, 06:31 AM
45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS)
Viking, 2013

els,
I don't know if he's still on the radio. I heard him on some TV show promoting his book, "Recapture the Wonder," when it first came out. (I have the book, but haven't read it yet. I've been too busy reading kids' books.) I just really loved that quote, and try to live by it as much as I can, but being human and all...

I don't know R.C. Sproul. Where can I find out more about him?
Kelly
#22 - April 14, 2005, 09:09 AM
45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS)
Viking, 2013

els,
Thanks! I signed the guestbook. I'm always interested in new authors!
Kelly
#23 - April 14, 2005, 09:56 AM
45 POUNDS (MORE OR LESS)
Viking, 2013

Lavinia

Can't think of a quote right now :confused2:  , but just wanted to say, that after a rejection (I posted under organization) I was feeling down in the dumps.  THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for taking the time to share.  It was just what I needed!  See, you never know what YOUR writing might do to insire some poor soul (ME!)   :tongue:  Lavinia
#24 - April 14, 2005, 11:27 AM

Caroline

"Behold, I will pour out my Spirit on you . I will make my words known to you."

Proverbs 1:23
#25 - April 17, 2005, 06:16 AM

Donna

AMEN CAROLINE!!! I needed to hear that this morning! (now I need to go look that up...)  ;D

Grace,
D
#26 - April 17, 2005, 06:24 AM

Javerine

I love this quote from RUMI:

"Everything that is coming will come. Consider it to have already arrived."

#27 - April 18, 2005, 05:04 AM

Bec

Sorry, this is sort of long, but this song by Casting Crowns is great.  I listen to it everytime I have doubts about my talents. .etc.  I need to listen to the Lord when it comes to me.  He is the author of my life, after all!  Enjoy!

Oh what I would do to have the kind of faith it takes to climb out of this boat, again, and onto the crashing waves
To step out of my comfort zone into the realm of the unknown where Jesus is, and He's holding out His hand
But the waves are calling out my name and they laugh at me, reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The waves, they keep on telling me time and time again, "Boy, you'll never win, you'll never win"

But the voice of truth tells me a different story, the voice of truth says do not be afriad
And the Voice of truth says, "This is for My Glory, " out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of truth.

Oh what I would do to have the kind of strength it takes to stand before the giant, with just a sling and a stone
surrounded by the sound of a thousand warriors shaking in their armor, wishing the'd have had the strength to stand
But the Giant's calling out my name and he laughs at me, reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me time and time again, "Boy, you'll never win, you'll never win"

But the stone was just the right size to put the giant on the ground, and the waves, they don't seem so high when you're up and looking down,
I can soar with the wings as eagels when I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus singing over me!

But the voice of truth tells me a different story, the voice of truth says do not be afriad
And the Voice of truth says, "This is for My Glory, " out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of truth.

#28 - April 18, 2005, 07:11 AM

Donna

I was blessed to go to a Casting Crowns concert at a Youth Day at a Church in SC.  WOW. Awesome song. How about "Who am I?"
I sang that at my daughter's christening. 

My fave line is "Whom shall I fear? Whom shall I fear? For I am YOURS! I am YOURS!"I will be singing those songs all day, Bec.  Thank you for the blessing!  :jump

Grace,
Donna
#29 - April 18, 2005, 07:59 AM

Bec

So many of their songs are convicting and have real meat to them.  What if His People Prayed?  and  Here I Go Again.   Ouch. . . hits me hard.   :faint:
#30 - April 18, 2005, 09:16 AM

Members: