SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Zonderkidz

Discussion started on

Amy Thomas

Their online guidelines say they are accepting unsolicited manuscripts right now. It also says they are looking for a new associate editor. Anyone subbed here before? Any comments or advice (aside from looking at their current offerings - I was thinking more along the lines of whether they respond quickly, etc.)? Thanks.
#1 - November 23, 2005, 02:26 PM

Caroline

I sent them a query and synopsis in 2002 and got my rejection in about a month... but things may have changed since then.

(wow.. has it been that long already??)
#2 - November 24, 2005, 03:40 PM

Donna

bumping this thread - looking for a name that I can address the letter to other than Manuscript Review Editor. Since they are looking for a new editor, not sure who left and who is left. :)

Any help is appreciated...

Grace,
Donna
#3 - January 05, 2006, 09:09 PM

Amy Thomas

I sent it to Manuscript Editor per the guidlines - I expect the new editor will have a handsome slush pile on her/his desk!
#4 - January 06, 2006, 01:59 PM

lizlane

Drats!  I wish I could send mine but it's still on exclusive submision at Henry Holt and Company!  Maybe I'll get a response today!  Someone, anyone, agree with me!  :smoke  I'm going to be bald! :yup
#5 - January 13, 2006, 06:50 AM

Marybeth

Wait a minute, Lizlane!   Is this the same manuscript sent to his old address that you wrote about in the Prickly Bush thread?    :n     If so, hmmmm.   Can you find out somehow??  Because you don't want it floating around the US Postal Service for ions, waiting on word from Hendry Holt & Co.!!   Sure hope you hear some good news about it! 
Marybeth 
#6 - January 20, 2006, 03:38 AM

lizlane

Marybeth-
It IS the same manuscript.  Here I've been hoping to hear a "yes" from them for months.  And I'm not good at waiting and I still struggle with faith from time to time.  I was quite devastated when I learned it was sent to the wrong address.  It was funny because I thought it might be a blessing in disguise (it was the only way I could hold on to my faith) but I had a real peace once I got over the crying jag.  Then you reminded me I would've rather submitted to ZonderKidz and there was light.  Satan couldn't have that, so he went after my testimony.  Years earlier before I ever thought about being a writer, I was working at my dream job but all was not well.  I was making more money than I ever had made, was well-respected and very good at my job, which was spiritually fulfilling to me but I was miserable.  I wanted something more.  I had a relationship with Jesus so I knew that wasn't it so I prayed fervently for weeks, crying out to the Lord to reveal His purpose for me.  Then He did.  I happened to catch a radio broadcast in which Dennis Rainey and Dr. James Dobson were discussing the Harry Potter series and the need for Christian writers to rise up and write books in the same vein as C.S. Lewis.  I distinctly remember James Dobson saying "I know that there is a Christian man or woman listening who has the gift of writing.  I just want to encourage that person to give their gift to the Lord and write children's books like C.S.Lewis, to maybe even become the next C.S. Lewis."  Well I was listening, I had the gift of writing and it was no coincidence to me that I was seeking a higher purpose in my life.  I gave my gift to the Lord that night, told him I was willing but he would have to help me every step of the way because the only fiction writing I had ever done was a short story class that I earned a "B" in.  I didn't even have an idea.  For a long time, I dismissed that night but every time I heard anything about J.K. I was haunted.  Finally, the Lord straightened me out.  I started thinking about how C.S. Lewis touched me and all the kids who wouldn't be touched if I didn't write this. I didn't want to be responsible for that so I gave myself completely to God, received a baptism by immersion to prepare for this call and started writing.  Now I was already a baptized Christian, growing up in the Episcopal church, so this was a huge change for me.  529 pages later, I can't even talk to ZonderKidz about the inception of this book until I get some confirmation about the broadcast! :smoke

So I say "Bring it!"  I'm still going to submit, if anything, I'm more determined I should.  So I just wanted to say thanks, Marybeth! :hug1:
#7 - January 21, 2006, 09:12 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
Hooray, I found the thread! I thought I was logged on, but I guess I wasn't. Thanks, Liz.
#8 - January 27, 2006, 07:58 AM
http://www.wendylynndeckerauthor.com
https://twitter.com/WendyDecker19
Sweet Tea (Vox Dei Publishing, October 20, 2015)
The Bedazzling Bowl (2006)

Marybeth

You're welcome, Lizlane, and I really wish you the best with this manuscript!  That's a LOT of pages to write, which means a ton of work you put in!  I'm impressed.

Marybeth
#9 - January 27, 2006, 03:54 PM

lizlane

Even with the pruning, I only eliminated uh, 11 pages!  So you bet I'm saying my prayers.  By the by, I sent my manuscript there on February 2 to the attention of Manuscript Review Editor.  What's worse, the letter began "Dear Editor..."   :dr  I worried that it might be frowned on but if they haven't filled the position with a person, then I worried needlessly.  As usual! :n

I left out the part about the book's inception.  I got a response from both James Dobson and Dennis Rainey's staff saying neither man said anything like that, so I thanked them and wrote I would love the chance to discuss my work on their shows once it's published.  But I know what I heard! :yup
#10 - February 09, 2006, 05:33 AM

Liz--Did they request this sub?
#11 - February 09, 2006, 07:59 AM
PBU
http://wwwpamcalvert.blogspot.com/p/picture-book-university.html

Brianna Bright Ballerina Knight series

Princess Peepers
Multiplying Menace

lizlane

No, Pam, they didn't but they're accepting unsolicited manuscripts at this time.
#12 - February 09, 2006, 01:59 PM

Liz--

Have you picked up a CBD catalog to see what's already out in the market for Christian fantasy?
#13 - February 15, 2006, 03:09 PM
PBU

Princess Peepers
Multiplying Menace

lizlane

Nope.  But I'd say it is pretty fair to claim that there's nothing out there quite like my manuscript.  Which is why I'm thinking I'm having a difficult time finding an agent.  If my book was like others out there that have sold, I'm sure I would have found an agent by now.  What God gave me the privilege of writing is an amazing work.  I could easily assume from all the agent rejections that this is simply not His will but...I know otherwise.  Besides, I know my Redeemer lives and His vindication will be my joy.  But I have toyed around with the idea of writing some fluff...But I think I'll just wait patiently on the Lord.  And maybe when I get a little extra money, I'll check out the resources that you mentioned. :yup  Sigh...Money is tight these days since I lost my job and lost my unemployment benefits after six months.
#14 - February 16, 2006, 08:29 AM

I know there's room in the market for it. Here are some titles: The Dragon Keeper Chronicles, The Door Within Trilogy: The Rise of Wyrm Lord, The Wilderking Trilogy: The Bark of the Bog Owl, Passages Series, The Seven Sleepers Series: Winged Raiders of the Desert--those are just a few. If you looked at some of these, maybe you could show how yours is needed in the market. Just go to a Christian bookstore or here's a link:

http://www.christianbook.com

Just a thought...
#15 - February 16, 2006, 08:46 AM
PBU

Princess Peepers
Multiplying Menace

lizlane

Ahh, man!  For some reason I can't access the link but thanks for posting Pam because I'm glad to know that even if my series doesn't make it to publication, others have had the chance to write books that point the way for kids.  Believe it or not, it really took the pressure off me...Still, of course, I hope my ms will be published but it may never see the light of day and the real gift was the changes it produced in me through the writing process. :yup

Thanks for the encouragement.  I confess I felt kind of stupid when you asked me those simple questions and I'm SURE that was not your intent, just my knee-jerk reaction to NOT doing my homework but suggesting those titles will certainly help me in querying future houses, if needed, and in my agent search.

With a very humble heart, I say thank you for your suggestions.  By the way, have you heard anything about your manuscript.  I seem to recall it's been, what six months or so?  Maybe the time has come for you to do a status inquery...
#16 - February 16, 2006, 09:11 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
  • SCBWI PAL
Hey, Pam! One of my dear college friends is author of the Wilderking Trilogy! Glad to see you mention it. Have you read it? It's a good one.

kd
#17 - February 16, 2006, 09:59 AM
A DANCE LIKE STARLIGHT (Philomel)
ME WITH YOU -- (Philomel)
MINI-RACER -- (Bloomsbury)
SURFER CHICK -- (Abrams)
http://kristydempsey.livejournal.com

KD--oh, I'd LOVE to read it! I'll order it now! That's so cool. I must confess that I've had a secret desire to write Christian fantasy -- it's my first love. But I'm not ready yet. Eek!

Liz--I'm so glad that helped you!  :yup  CBD is the main distributor for Christian titles. They drive the market and the editors are hogtied to it. When I was preparing my ms for review by Zonderkidz, I read a bunch of Christian titles in my genre to get a feel for whether they'd like my work. I was pleased that it would fit! I also revised some of it for that market and the editor made some suggestions on what to include.

As for word--none yet. I'm going to nudge in March. I need some prayers! It's a long shot.
#18 - February 16, 2006, 11:33 AM
PBU

Princess Peepers
Multiplying Menace

lizlane

Of course I'll pray for you!  You've got me really curious Pam.  How much did the resource you mention cost? My husband just got his state tax check in the mail today, so I can probably ask him for the money, if it's not too much.

I went to Books-A-Million today and looked for the titles you mentioned but I didn't see them.  I wonder if they would be at the library?  I'll have to ask my sister-in-law about them.  She's the young adult librarian and in charge of the ordering of books, as well as a Christian, so I know I can talk her into ordering them if they're not on the shelves already...
#19 - February 16, 2006, 01:24 PM

Try to type in www.christianbook.com and see if it will come up. You can order a catalog from them--call 1-800-CHRISTIAN (1-800-247-4784). Ask for the CBD KIDS catalog. They will send you one free of charge. If you want to purchase some books, just order a few which you think are similar to yours. You may only need two to get a feel for it. That shouldn't cost more than $20.

Oh, yeah--these books are not found at secular bookstores--only in Christian bookstores or catalogs. There are a few that have crossed over but that's through overwhelming success.
#20 - February 16, 2006, 02:45 PM
PBU

Princess Peepers
Multiplying Menace

lizlane

Pam, thank you so much! I'm sure it will help me with pitching my ms to know what is currently in the market now.  And I'm sure it will be more productive than querying agents and getting rejected over and over and over... :dr

I'm going to start a new thread because I don't want this one to get too far off the topic but I have a question that I want to ask you and everyone else interested in Christian publishing so if you've got time, check it out and tell me what you think.
#21 - February 17, 2006, 03:54 AM

That's awesome, Pam!  At least you're on your way now!  Although, I must admit I find the other part discouraging...I guess I know what I'll be getting in the mail soon!  2008, huh?     I'm going back to bed and I'm not getting up until then...

I wanted to respond to this since the other thread was closed. This is more appropriate here anyway! This IS a discouraging trend, but the Christian houses ARE having trouble. In some ways, I believe it's BECAUSE they won't take risks. If they keep pumping out Max Lucado, Frank Perreti and other existing authors, they are closing the door to more avenues and creative means to reach children. But this is God's will for me--this IS a door that's closing, maybe forever.
#22 - March 09, 2006, 10:34 AM
PBU

Princess Peepers
Multiplying Menace

It is odd because secular publishers like Simon & Schuster are opening Christian imprints.  There is still hope.

From what I can tell, sales of Christian lit are good.
#23 - March 09, 2006, 12:52 PM
Ghosts In the Night - Mackin 2019
Minnie's Green Book - HMH 2015
Mossy Marsha - Amazon
Blog: www.katherinerollins.blogspot.com

Members: