SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How do you copyright a book you illustrated and wrote?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
I recently finished an illustrated cookbook that I wrote and fully illustrated and I am confused on how to register the book's copyright. I am not sure what category it would be considered (ie. would it be a work of art or literary work). I have everything else completed and I know about registering a group of works but, I don't know if I can register a whole book or if I have to break up the copyright registration. Please help!
#1 - June 01, 2021, 06:29 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
If you aren't self publishing, the publisher handles this. I believe a book is a literary work no matter how illustrated, but it's not my area of expertise.
#2 - June 01, 2021, 06:41 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
If you're self-publishing in the US, you can register your work with the copyright office. https://www.copyright.gov/
#3 - June 02, 2021, 05:06 AM
Laurie Wallmark
lauriewallmark.com @lauriewallmark
Code Breaker, Spy Hunter
Numbers in Motion
Hedy Lamarr's Double Life
Grace Hopper

I am looking for the same information, Miranda, if you got an answer for this, please help me too!
#4 - June 29, 2021, 01:10 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
You will need to create an account with the copyright office.  Once you establish this, select the TX form to register a book of fiction.  Within that application form  (I say form which implies paper, but these forms can be filled out online) you will have the option to include images or artwork, and list the illustrator -in this case, you.  If it is a different person, you will either list them as copyright owner of the images, or that the images are a work made for hire. There are many videos and sidebars on the copyright site that will help you through the process.
#5 - June 30, 2021, 07:03 PM

Thank for the reply Anthony.  I am trying to register my illustrated book online. I searched for many videos and tutorials but none answer my question which is: "What should be the type of work that needs to be selected( literary work, works of art)? " - How can i register entire book in one application etc. (Including text and illustrations - as a single author).
#6 - July 01, 2021, 10:02 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
It would be considered a literary work, not a work of art.  I missed the fact that yours is a cookbook, not picture book, but it still falls under the same category.  Once you create a user account with the copyright office, you can begin the registration process. you will need to answer questions/provide information on multiple pages. it's been more than a year since I did this, (so some of this process may have changed) but somewhere in those pages you will be asked if there are any images/art as part of the work.  A convenient part of the process allows you to stop and 'save' your registration even if it is not complete, and return to it at a later time.  you will need to provide a finished digital copy of the book, so this of course, must be completed before you begin the registration process.  (they take only a few formats, but pdf is one of them.) Once all questions and info/book have been entered, you  proceed to "check out" and pay for the registration.  until you 'check out" and pay, you can alter your info. 
#7 - July 01, 2021, 11:19 AM

Veni Sancte Spiritus!
Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
What Anthony has said. A literary work can have art/photos in it. The whole arrangement is a complete package and that's what you're copyrighting.
#8 - July 01, 2021, 12:10 PM
Little Thief! Max & Midnight, Bound, Ten Easter Eggs & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com https://bodachbooks.blogspot.com

Members: