SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Looking for comp suggestions

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi folks,

I live in Toronto and have been in lockdown since last November!  I am trying to find comps for my pitch/query.

Book 1- like Elephant and Piggie, Narwhal and Jelly and I don't want to be a frog - are there any books that came out in the last 2-3 years like these better if it's a debut author!

Book 2- like Love, Someday and These Two Hands to Hold You. Again ideally last 2-3 years and debut author
#1 - June 02, 2021, 05:26 AM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
No comps that immediately come to my mind but...
If you search these titles in Amazon Books, you can look at their book pages and it gives you two things that could be useful:
1 the category they are grouped in (which then lets you look through other books in these categories, and sometimes they have Look Inside options for more info about them)
2 Possible comp books shown below the info for the main book.
You may already know all this and are just after scbwi members' suggestions, in which case my apologies. I figure it can't hurt to mention alternatives. Best of luck with the search, and my sympathies for being in lockdown for so long. Sending you best wishes for the future.
#2 - June 02, 2021, 05:08 PM
Odd Bods: The World's Unusual Animals - Millbrook Press 2021
Tiny Possum and the Migrating Moths - CSIRO Pub. Nov. 2021

www.juliemurphybooks.com

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
For #1, these are all dialogue only. The first three are humor, the last two are funny but also help kids learn concepts.
Croc & Turtle - Mike Wohnoutka
Who Wet My Pants - Bob Shea and Zachariah Ohora
OX, Ox - Adam Rex and Scott Campbell
This Book is Gray - Lindsay Ward
The Happy Book - Andy Rash

For #2, I don't know if these are exactly the kind you're looking for, but maybe they'll help like what Julie said with searching Amazon's recommendations.
The Wonderful Things You Will Be - Emily Winfield Martin
A Father's Love - Hannah Holt and Yee Von Chan

I hope you find some great comps for your stories!
#3 - June 08, 2021, 11:25 AM

Members: