SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What does seeking authors/illustrators only mean?

Discussion started on

Hi,
I have worked with an illustrator on contract to create a picture book. 
Can I send my queries to agents who are seeking author/illustrators only ? Does it always need to be the same person? The illustrator will not be my partner in this case.

Regards,
Poonam.
#1 - March 29, 2021, 11:38 AM

Illustrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
The term author/illustrator is shorthand for an author who is also an illustrator.  If they are looking for author/illustrators only, then they are not interested in submissions from people who are only one or the other. 
#2 - March 29, 2021, 02:23 PM

He is Risen! Alleluia!!!
Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Yes, I believe that author/illustrator means same person when agents are looking for one.
#3 - March 29, 2021, 02:25 PM
Little Thief! Max & Midnight, Bound, Ten Easter Eggs & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com https://bodachbooks.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Poonam, in general, agents who accept manuscripts from authors prefer that the author not have it illustrated. It is up to the publisher to match the work with an illustrator. (Sometimes an agent will do it, but that is rarer.) An author/illustrator is another matter. In that case one person is bringing a complete vision of the work to life. So agents who say author/illustrators only for picture books will not accept work from anyone who is one or the other but not both.
#4 - March 29, 2021, 06:13 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Illustrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I think, sometimes, if it's like a husband and wife team or something, they might treat the pair together like an author/illustrator.  I've met at least one team that works like that, but I don't know if it's very common.  I doubt it, though. 

Besides, that's a special circumstance. 
#5 - March 29, 2021, 06:34 PM

Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Agree with what the others have said. There are RARE occasions where an Agent MIGHT rep both people in an Author & Illustrator team but the Illustrator is no longer involved in your book project.  While I have heard of a few Agents willing to offer rep of just 1 book, most look for clients they can represent (be it Author, Illustrator, or both) for their career/mulitple projects.
If you are thinking of trying for an Agent, I'd just send the query and (if the Agent site specifies) the pb manuscript (no Illustrations)
#6 - March 30, 2021, 04:14 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Members: