Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Picture Books (PB) / Re: Interested in hiring a consultant
« Last post by laura-shanley on Today at 02:30 PM »
I haven't but I will. Thanks, Harold!
Picture Books (PB) / Re: picture book classes
« Last post by HaroldU on Today at 01:55 PM »
Excellent suggestions so far!

As a different option, I suggest Ann Whitford Paul's Writing Picture Books, which is like a picture book writing course in a book (the link takes you to my detailed review of it).

Also, I don't know what's at the Highlights Foundation right now, but you should check there too. They offer a number of picture book courses and workshops over the course of the year.
Picture Books (PB) / Re: Interested in hiring a consultant
« Last post by HaroldU on Today at 01:52 PM »
Have you looked in SCBWI's "The Book"? There is a section of manuscript editors and consultants.
Picture Books (PB) / Interested in hiring a consultant
« Last post by laura-shanley on Today at 01:21 PM »
I just joined SCBWI. I want to publish a book of my children’s poetry but don’t know which poems to include, how to find an illustrator, or which self-publishing platform to use. Ideally, I would have liked to have the poems published by an established press but after dozens of rejection letters, I feel I might need to put that aside. I did sell one poem to The Saturday Evening Post Magazine Group and it was published in one of their children’s magazines. I also had an adult non-fiction book published by an academic press. So, this gives me hope. Are there consultants I could hire that would give me feedback on my poems and also assist me in this process? Here is my one published poem (I did retain one-time book publishing rights). Thanks!

Laura Ruth has Lost a Tooth

Laura Ruth has lost a tooth
she proudly shows her smile
"When first it's loose," says Laura Ruth
"Just wiggle it a while."

she whistles when she speaks
and when she drinks her orange juice
she often finds she leaks!

and finds it rather funny
that little teeth when placed beneath
a pillow turn to money!

now what are we to do?
Perhaps before the summer ends
a new one will come through
« Last post by jeremy-ross1 on Today at 12:10 PM »
Hi K-Yee, For illustrating picturebooks, I find SVS a great resource. They also offer a free trial. Will, Jake and Lee are all professional PB illustrators and have a hilarious podcast too.

https://www.svslearn.com/
« Last post by Jessica Miller on Today at 06:01 AM »
I've taken Gotham's Children's Book Writing I and II (online) and they were both very good - I learned a ton and got helpful feedback from the instructor and fellow students. I am currently taking a Picture Book revision course through GrubStreet (online). I'm only two weeks in (out of 8 weeks), so too early to give my review on the course! They also offer an intro to Picture Book writing course. Good luck!
« Last post by dkshumaker on Today at 05:29 AM »
The Writing Barn offers online courses. Lisa Katzenberger, published author of two picture books, is teaching a class for six weeks/six sessions starting in June. I've not taken her class but she is a good friend and I'm assuming a great teacher. But there are other PB classes there as well. I've taken several one session webinars through the Writing Barn and they were fantastic, so I'm assuming a six session class would be fantastic as well.

Here is a link:
https://www.thewritingbarn.com/upcoming-classes/

I have also heard good things about both Susanna Hill Leonard's classes and Storyteller Academy. But I do not have personal experience with them.
I'm interested! clozierlcsw@gmail.com
« Last post by cabbi-charles on Today at 03:17 AM »
Hi, There are a few children's book courses at citylit.ac.uk, either focused on illustration or writing.  Last I saw they were still running them online.  I would recommend the Picture Book Writing course  (6 weeks) with Andrew Weale.  Really enjoyed it, lots of writing prompts and examples etc
Book Talk / Re: How did you get here?
« Last post by andracill on Yesterday at 09:03 PM »
Good luck with your own writing -- very cool! :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10