SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Off Topic Board / Re: Thanks
« Last post by Stephanie Ruble on Today at 01:45 PM »
 :love5
Just bumping this up to remind everyone we have only a couple more days until the deadline.

(And thanks SO much for posting about it, Teresa!! I'd have been heartbroken to miss the opportunity this year. )
Picture Books (PB) / Re: Submitting a concept book.
« Last post by Christine B. on Today at 10:27 AM »
Thank you all so much!
« Last post by Vijaya on Today at 08:26 AM »
Lovely story!
Picture Books (PB) / Re: Submitting a concept book.
« Last post by Vijaya on Today at 08:25 AM »
Christine, Linda Ashman has some wonderful tips on PB with notes. Scroll down to the end of this page and you'll see the links for her own: http://lindaashman.com/how-to-write-picture-books/more-resources/

And I don't do anything special but write [ART--describe what needs to be here if it's not obvious in the text]

Good luck!
Picture Books (PB) / Re: PB With Wheelchair Character
« Last post by Vijaya on Today at 08:19 AM »
Arona, I always think it's a wonderful to include characters where the disability isn't part of the plot per se. One of my first ever stories had a boy in a wheelchair but the story is about him and his friend flying a kite. I wish there were more stories about disabled kids because they are so often excluded from games and activities. A story is way into the whole idea that they are differently abled. I think showing the love between a child and his grandpa has universal appeal. Happy writing!
« Last post by Sara Kuba on Today at 08:19 AM »
This was wonderful to read! Thank you for sharing, Gatz! :love5
How to Use the Blueboard / Re: Where Do I Ask Questions
« Last post by Debbie Vilardi on Yesterday at 05:48 PM »
Hi Rafael,

And welcome to the boards. It's best to seek the appropriate section for each of your questions. This will get more focused responses.

Sometimes a search of the site (see the Search button on the upper right hand corner) will help you find places where your question has already been answered or discussed. It's a good idea to scroll through a few threads in each section and see what's there and read the rules for the section before posting. There's a lot here to take in, but it's one of the best resources around.

Again, welcome, and don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it.

-Debbie
The Craft of Writing / Re: Copy-Right?
« Last post by A. S. Templeton on Yesterday at 04:55 PM »
There are numerous repositories of storytelling tropes, e.g. tvtropes.org. That one, despite its name, includes numerous examples from literature.

The key is stirring up a unique combination of themes, plots, characters, and, yes, even tropes to create a story that is relevant to today's reader.

A thorough survey of the tropes in Monsters U

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WesternAnimation/MonstersUniversity

should aid one in preventing accusations of being derivative.
How to Use the Blueboard / Where Do I Ask Questions
« Last post by rafael-robinson on Yesterday at 03:57 PM »
Good evening, I'm a new member and I'm looking to ask some questions to group. Do i post them here or do I find a bulletin board with something close to what I want to ask?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10