SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Thank you all again! I was actually checking out Mr. Underdown's site before I read the newest comments. 😊
Magazines & Ezines / Re: Etiquette question
« Last post by Debbie Vilardi on Yesterday at 05:51 PM »
No problem. We've all been newbies and often feel like newbies again when we reach a new phase.
This.

The best thing I did for myself was buy Harold Underdown's book, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Publishing Children's Books (now in its third edition). Through reading it, I was led to his website and Verla's message board - now this SCBWI message board.

Best wishes, Jessica!!

Y'll are making me blush...
Poetry / Re: Poetry meter preference
« Last post by Pons on Yesterday at 04:14 PM »
This is just my opinion, but I think free verse is a hard place to begin to learn how to write poetry. Too many people take a prose sentence, chop it up into phrases on different lines and call it free verse. Although free verse does not usually have meter or rhyme, it still uses figurative language, and is definitely a different animal than chopped up prose.

Learning about poetic feet and meters and rhyme and other figurative techniques will give you a foundation from which to build and move into free verse.

I'm not surprised your daughter was less than impressed with free verse. Children delight in well done meters and rhyme.

Congratualtions on sticking to your goal - and good luck.
I highly recommend bookmarking Harold's website and reading everything on it. You will learn so much about the kidlit industry! :-)

This.

The best thing I did for myself was buy Harold Underdown's book, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Publishing Children's Books (now in its third edition). Through reading it, I was led to his website and Verla's message board - now this SCBWI message board.

Best wishes, Jessica!!

Kidlit Good News / Re: Signed with an agent!
« Last post by Melissa K on Yesterday at 01:57 PM »
Woot! What a completely awesome story! Congrats for being on sub, and best of luck going forward.
I highly recommend bookmarking Harold's website and reading everything on it. You will learn so much about the kidlit industry! :-)
Thank you so much to dkshumaker and HaroldU for getting back to me! I truly appreciate it! Hope you both have a lovely evening!
I'll second dkshumaker's comments. You do not need to copyright your manuscript, and in fact should not.

What  you should do is be sure that you've got it set up in the expected manuscript format. I explain how to do that here: http://www.underdown.org/manuscript-format.htm

Good luck!
No. You automatically have copyrights to your story the moment you create it. Filing for copyright is just a formal process and the publisher will take care of that during the publication process. In fact, if you copyright work before you submit it to agents or publishers, that will usually be a sign that you are new to the process, it's considered a "rookie" mistake.

Good luck in your querying process!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10