SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Grammerly

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region southern-breeze
Don't laugh, this is a novice question! Is Grammerly premium worth it for PB editing? I know it is not the same as a professional editor but is it worth it to get started? Thanks
#1 - May 13, 2022, 03:30 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I have not used it so I don't really have an opinion. I hope others chime in!
#2 - May 13, 2022, 06:02 PM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, May 2021)
Tell Someone (Albert Whitman, October 2021)
Peculiar Primates (Running Press Kids, October 2022)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I wouldn't think so. Premium adds things like fluency, word choice and tone -- and you need those to be yours, not from an algorithm.
#3 - May 13, 2022, 08:44 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
Asking my critique partners for help with my grammar and punctuation has been what works for me.  Sometimes I'll ask if they can specifically point out any errors. Since I struggle in those areas, it's nice to have partners who are knowledgeable in them.

Also, lately I've been using the website quillbot. So far it's been helpful with my grammar and punctuation. Some of the suggestions aren't always accurate, but for the most part it's been helpful. There are many other free grammar sites you could try.
#4 - May 13, 2022, 09:01 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Asking my critique partners for help with my grammar and punctuation has been what works for me.  Sometimes I'll ask if they can specifically point out any errors. Since I struggle in those areas, it's nice to have partners who are knowledgeable in them.

Also, lately I've been using the website quillbot. So far it's been helpful with my grammar and punctuation. Some of the suggestions aren't always accurate, but for the most part it's been helpful. There are many other free grammar sites you could try.
Thank you Jenny. I have found lots of free online help and also feedback as well. I just feel like I am missing something, probably because I have no idea what I am doing!!!! Lol
#5 - May 14, 2022, 04:18 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
I have the free version of Grammarly and I find it helps most with spelling errors or sometimes phrasing, but that's mostly for very technical writing. When I'm writing something looser and more stylized, I find that I often disagree with Grammarly on comma usage, so it's mostly annoying.
#6 - May 14, 2022, 07:47 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I've been known to look things up in a grammar textbook. I also use  https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/purdue_owl.html. Look at the menu on the left and click General Writing.
#7 - May 14, 2022, 06:10 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
I have the free version of Grammarly and I find it helps most with spelling errors or sometimes phrasing, but that's mostly for very technical writing. When I'm writing something looser and more stylized, I find that I often disagree with Grammarly on comma usage, so it's mostly annoying.
That is kind  of what I think,  it feels more formal. They just keep getting in my head, “ I’d only you pay for it your manuscript would be perfect” 😂
#8 - May 15, 2022, 03:04 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
I've been known to look things up in a grammar textbook. I also use  https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/purdue_owl.html. Look at the menu on the left and click General Writing.
So funny I actually have a grammar text but never thought of opening it! Thanks
#9 - May 15, 2022, 03:05 PM

Members: