SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Query Interest Wait Time

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Hi everyone, I received some initial interest on my picture book, but it's been a couple of weeks since any communication after sending the manuscript, which included a rookie mistake of not formatting the manuscript formally. I only sent over the body of the book.  Should I reach back out at all? Should I attempt to resend a corrected formal manuscript? 

Thanks,

Nik
#1 - December 01, 2020, 12:00 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Hi Nik.

I'm a little confused. Most often when querying picture books, you send the manuscript along with the query letter. So could you clarify what you meant by  "initial interest"?  I'm also confused as to what you mean by "I only sent over the body." Did you mean you didn't have a header?  If it's an email, they'll have minimally your email address, so it's likely not a big deal. Unless the formatting was unreadable, I wouldn't bother sending a corrected manuscript.

A couple of weeks is not a long time in this industry. Many times it is months between sending a query and hearing a response. Hang in there and start on your next book! :-)
#2 - December 01, 2020, 12:26 PM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, May 2021)
Tell Someone (Albert Whitman, October 2021)
Peculiar Primates (Running Press Kids, October 2022)

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region austin
Thanks for the response!  I initially queried based on her criteria to send a brief description and overview, and she wrote back that she was interested if it was a picture book, and to send over the completed manuscript.  I only sent the main body of work without any headers, title, etc.  Oops!  Got too excited. 
#3 - December 01, 2020, 02:00 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
A couple of weeks is not a long time in this industry. Many times it is months between sending a query and hearing a response. Hang in there and start on your next book! :-)

Yep. A couple of weeks is not very long in this business -- although it sure can seem long when you're waiting! Many people are reporting slower response times during the pandemic, too, and agents in the U.S. also had the Thanksgiving holiday. I wouldn't even consider sending any type of nudge until after the holidays.

Did you send the picture book in the body of the email? Most agents want submissions this way.

Good luck!

#4 - December 01, 2020, 02:06 PM
STORY MAGIC (Jolly Fish Press 2020)
DEAD BOY (Crown BFYR 2015)
MONSTER, HUMAN, OTHER (Crown BFYR 2017)

40 Days for Life
Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm sure it's going to be fine Mr. Write. Your email is a response to hers so there's an email thread and there should be no confusion about what story she's reading.  But next time...check and double check before hitting Send. Good luck!
#5 - December 01, 2020, 04:46 PM
Little Thief! Max & Midnight, Bound, Ten Easter Eggs & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com https://bodachbooks.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Wait times are in general 3-6 months. You can often find them on Query Tracker. Also, check the website to see if they list a wait time.  I double any listed wait time before nudging. Otherwise, I wouldn't do anything for six months, especially with the holidays in here and everyone working from home.
#6 - December 01, 2020, 06:09 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Any idea as to how much time to expect a response from Roaring Brook's Connie Hsu from a NYSCBWI Conference 2020 attendee's query to her? The session was really large, over 100 people. Perhaps I shouldn't expect a response if she isn't interested. Only sent query per letter from SCBWI allowing a query to be sent.     Their website has no info on submissions. Thanks!         

#7 - January 28, 2021, 10:16 PM
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:18 PM by kenneth-major »

40 Days for Life
Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Conference subs are no different. I've waited anywhere from 2-6 months for a response. My strategy is to submit, record, and forget about it. Work on new material. Good luck.
#8 - January 29, 2021, 06:55 AM
Little Thief! Max & Midnight, Bound, Ten Easter Eggs & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com https://bodachbooks.blogspot.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I agree with V. There are no guaranteed responses even with conference subs. After a year, you can likely assume no response means "No."

However, one October I attended the Rutgers conference and subbed to an editor I met there shortly after. It was an entire year, literally the day she was on the train to attend the conference again as an editor that she emailed me back, wondering if my manuscript was still available because she just read it and loved it. It was still available, but alas, she couldn't convince the marketing team that it was worth acquiring. :-(

So it's likely a NO, I had forgotten all about it, but sometimes, out of the blue, you just never know, LOL. But I love Vijaya's advice. Submit, then just work on the next project. It's out of your hands at that point.
#9 - January 29, 2021, 07:13 AM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, May 2021)
Tell Someone (Albert Whitman, October 2021)
Peculiar Primates (Running Press Kids, October 2022)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thank you for your responses. That was my first conference so I wasn't sure. I'm doing Tara Lazar's  Storystorm  so moving on with the next project.
#10 - January 29, 2021, 07:29 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Chiming in to agree. Conference subs often do not get a response -- even if you met with the editor in person and they were ALL KINDS of excited, which happened to two friends of mine. (Another friend got a verbal offer of rep from a major agent at a conference and never heard from the agent again, even with nudges.) When 12 months pass, just write it off and move on.
#11 - January 29, 2021, 08:24 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
At 12 months, nudge because you never know. I used to say at 6 months, but with COVID, I'm not sure about that. You could also check with folks who also attended to see if they've heard back.
#12 - January 29, 2021, 06:04 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks for the advice,  Debbie. Will do. Ken
#13 - January 29, 2021, 06:21 PM

Members: