SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Grade level

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
I’ve been trying to determine the book/grade level of my picture book. Many of the NF books I’m looking at have a combination of simple primary text with more complex secondary text to explain the primary text.

I’ve been looking at AR Bookfind to find grade level. Is this based on the primary or secondary text?
#1 - February 17, 2021, 03:36 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I would assume it's based on primary text. Often the back matter or sidebars are written a bit above the main audience, which for many PBs is elementary school aged kids.

When I want to check grade level of my NF PBs, I just focus on the primary text. Many of the PB bios out there seem geared for upper elementary, not just the early grades.

My book coming out this spring is an NF science book and it is geared to 4 - 8 year olds. It's a very simple, rhyming text. But the back matter reads older.
#2 - February 17, 2021, 04:04 PM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, May 2021)
Tell Someone (Albert Whitman, October 2021)
Peculiar Primates (Running Press Kids, October 2022)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'd get numbers for both separately. The secondary text can be harder, but I'd think you wouldn't want to be more than a few grade levels up. But then, all my nonfiction is work for hire leveled readers. One thing to keep in mind is that certain words necessary to the topic may blow your reading level. (People's names come to mind or words like microscope.) You can sub those out when you look at level.
#3 - February 17, 2021, 06:03 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
Hey dk (that ok?) and Debbie: Thanks for your  responses. So helpful. You guys are great.
#4 - February 17, 2021, 11:31 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
"dk" is fine.  When I joined years ago I just used my initials. People who know me call me Deb or Debra. :-)

Best of luck. NF is my favorite.
#5 - February 18, 2021, 05:38 AM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, May 2021)
Tell Someone (Albert Whitman, October 2021)
Peculiar Primates (Running Press Kids, October 2022)

40 Days for Life
Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I really like that a lot of NF books can be used for several years. The younger kids might only look at the main text that's simple and poetic, with beautiful illustrations to convey nature's wonder and as they get older, they can read more about it in the back, check out more books on topics that whet their appetites. I always analyze the main text and back matter separately for readability because even the backmatter needs to be accessible to the kids, not just the teacher (I use the Lexile website and you can get a free account).
#6 - February 18, 2021, 06:30 AM
Little Thief! Max & Midnight, Bound, Ten Easter Eggs & 100+ bks/mags
https://vijayabodach.blogspot.com https://bodachbooks.blogspot.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
Hi Vijaya: Thanks for your response.

Gosh, I love SCBWI.
#7 - February 18, 2021, 03:35 PM

Members: