SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Comp books for Picture books

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Does anyone know of a good data base for PB comp books?  Or any search hints?  Should the comp books be recently published?
Thank you!  :parrot
#1 - March 16, 2021, 11:34 AM
Linda Mundinger

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
This may or may not help you, but there is a  challenge that goes on every year in March called Reading For Revision Month - ReFoReMo for short. The website is reforemo.com. But if you go to this page, it gives you a reading list for this year's challenge, with books grouped by daily post, often based on a certain topic: http://www.reforemo.com/2021/02/reforemo-2021-reading-list.html

I'm sure if you dig around, you'll probably find reading lists for each year.  Probably not super easy to use, but it might be helpful.

I just typically go to Amazon and type in variations of my topic to see what's been published.
#2 - March 16, 2021, 01:09 PM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, May 2021)
Tell Someone (Albert Whitman, October 2021)
Peculiar Primates (Running Press Kids, October 2022)

Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Generally, comp books should have been published within the last 5 years. When I needed comp books for a sub  last month and I couldn't go browse in the library or bookstore because I was self-quarantining due to the pandemic, I called our local library and explained my dilemma. The children's librarian was very helpful. She researched their data base and emailed me a list of books. I then ordered a bunch of them from the library for drive-by pick up, read through them, and found 3 to use for my needed comp titles.  YAY for wonderful librarians!
#3 - March 16, 2021, 01:33 PM

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
As above. In addition, I subscribe to a few review/PB discussion websites. If I stumble across a potential comp book to the ms I'm writing (or planning), I note it down for future reference.
#4 - March 16, 2021, 02:56 PM
Odd Bods: The World's Unusual Animals - Millbrook Press 2021
Tiny Possum and the Migrating Moths - CSIRO Pub. Nov. 2021

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
PS Don't just think about a comp book with respect to topic, but also treatment - e.g. a similarly lyrical book, or a NF book with multiple text layers.
#5 - March 16, 2021, 02:57 PM
Odd Bods: The World's Unusual Animals - Millbrook Press 2021
Tiny Possum and the Migrating Moths - CSIRO Pub. Nov. 2021

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
As above. In addition, I subscribe to a few review/PB discussion websites. If I stumble across a potential comp book to the ms I'm writing (or planning), I note it down for future reference.
This is great advice. If you're interested, I review picture books on Instagram every Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I'm debrakshumaker.
#6 - March 16, 2021, 04:14 PM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, May 2021)
Tell Someone (Albert Whitman, October 2021)
Peculiar Primates (Running Press Kids, October 2022)

Roving Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Here's a post about writing comps in general. It doesn't address your original question, Linda, but I thought it might be helpful if you're involved in the process.

https://www.query101.blog/blog/5-things-to-know-in-the-search-for-comps
#7 - March 21, 2021, 01:38 PM

Members: