SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Advice on submitting to 2 genres?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Hello!  Newb here.
I wrote two picture books that are ready to query.  One is definitely for children while the other is quite dark and more for adults.  My background is in adult fiction.

How would I go about submitting?  Should I look for two different agents? Thank you.
#1 - May 27, 2021, 02:30 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Picture books for adults are a strange beast. They do exist but the publishers who do them are fewer and further between. I'd focus on agents who tak work for adults and children or at least agencies that rep both. Then you can focus on the picture books for kids as your initial submission. Agents prefer you to have three complete ready to go manuscripts before you query. These would al have to be for children, so you aren't quite there yet. Also, be sure to have your work critiqued by people who know work for children. There are some dark PBs out there for kids.

Happy writing!
#2 - May 27, 2021, 05:54 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Thank you! 

I do have more going to betas shortly, but I wouldn't query them all in the same letter, right?  If that's correct, would I allude to them at all or just wait to see if they ask?

#3 - May 29, 2021, 11:19 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
Jennifer, don't query all your mss in one email. Pitch the strongest and mention that you have other mss, too. :goodluck
#4 - May 30, 2021, 09:28 AM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
The Constitution Decoded (Workman, 2020)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Jennifer, don't query all your mss in one email. Pitch the strongest and mention that you have other mss, too. :goodluck

This, unless guidelines say otherwise. I've seen a person or two who asks for a pitch for three manuscripts for PBs.
#5 - May 30, 2021, 06:29 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region illinois
Thank you both!
#6 - June 01, 2021, 02:53 PM

Members: