SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Has anybody submitted to Highlights Hello lately?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I have been waiting on a submission since 3.5 months now. Based on the response time boards, I have exceeded all the timelines that are posted there. They have always been very prompt with rejections which makes me slightly hopeful about this one. But at the same time, I'm too scared to get my hopes up  :-\ Has anybody submitted to Hello magazine in the past 3 months and are still waiting? Or better, got a response on the submission?
#1 - January 28, 2018, 10:21 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
This doesn't really answer your question about response time, but I did see this posted under Hello's online submission guidelines:

"Issue contents have been tentatively assigned through 2018. We have not yet set issue themes for 2019 but we are still accepting a limited number of manuscripts that we find irresistible."

Not sure what they are doing with subs in progress though. I haven't recently subbed there. Good luck!
#2 - January 29, 2018, 08:53 AM
Anita N. Amin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Hi Starfish! Yes, I've seen that on their website. They posted it about two weeks after I submitted to them. My date of submission is Oct 15th. However it makes me wonder if I am going to get a reject because they are considering only a few submissions. At least that's what it sounds like.
#3 - January 29, 2018, 09:18 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Don't give up! If it's still in progress, they're still considering it! Good luck!
#4 - January 29, 2018, 02:25 PM
Anita N. Amin

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
I would not give up hope if I were you.  I submitted back on 10/4/17 and received an acceptance on 1/5/18.  They may very well still be considering your submission.
#5 - January 29, 2018, 03:44 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks Teresa, that helps! Our timelines are pretty close, hopefully I should hear from them soon.

Congrats on the acceptance.
#6 - January 29, 2018, 04:41 PM
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:43 PM by Orchid »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks Starfish. Good luck to you too!
#7 - January 29, 2018, 04:43 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Good luck, Orchid. I've been reading through all of the response times boards, and you've been really helpful by posting your recent submissions. I hope you get good news!
#8 - January 30, 2018, 10:27 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks Kelsey!

I would like to post an update that I did hear back on my submission and I got an acceptance. This is my first sale. I'm super happy! I will update the response time boards.
#9 - February 13, 2018, 10:31 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
 :yay

You should be especially proud of yourself because they said that they're only accepting manuscripts that they find irresistible!

What did you write about? Did they say anything special about holding the manuscript until 2019? Do they email a contract, or do they snail mail it to you?

(Can you tell I've only just begun to submit manuscripts and have no idea how any of this works?)

Congrats, Orchid. :)
#10 - February 14, 2018, 06:46 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Kelsey, thank you for the nice words!

I submitted to Highlights through Submittable which I think is their preferred (maybe, only?) way to submit. I received the contract by email and there was a link at the bottom which I had to click for accepting the terms and conditions. The link redirected to Submittable where I saw the same content and terms that were sent in the email. I had to check a box and hit accept, just like what you would do when accepting terms and conditions for an online phone or bank account etc. It was pretty simple. Note that Highlights buys "all rights" and I was comfortable with this from the start because I wrote this piece specifically to submit to them. They did not mention anything about the date of publication and neither did they acknowledge receipt of my contract agreement. I'm not sure if they do?

Like you, I'm new too, so don't worry about not knowing things. I don't know many things either but I find this forum and SCBWI members from my local chapter very helpful with details like these. :)

Hope this helps. Good luck with your submissions!
#11 - February 14, 2018, 09:36 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Congratulations on your acceptance, Orchid!!  :stars3 That's terrific news! Hope you're celebrating.
#12 - February 14, 2018, 10:03 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Thanks Ev!
#13 - February 14, 2018, 11:42 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Congratulations on your acceptance, Orchid! That first sale is so exciting, isn't it?
#14 - February 14, 2018, 01:52 PM

Poster Plus
Yay for you! I hope they use it soon so you'll get to see your work in print! More excitement ahead!
#15 - February 14, 2018, 05:38 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
It sure is, Teresa! :)

Thanks Cindyb.
#16 - February 16, 2018, 10:41 PM

Members: