SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

You Go Girl

Discussion started on

Dionna

:gogirl

Any way to place a comma after "go" so our "You Go Girl" can become "You go, girl!"?

Of course, a you-go girl always gets someone else to go in her sentences and put in her commas!  :hahaha 

(Am I the only one laughing?)
 :hiding
#1 - October 15, 2013, 09:19 AM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
I think the smilies come pre-punctuated, sadly ;)  We have no control over that.
#2 - October 15, 2013, 05:37 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
If you want to get started on the grammar and punctuation of the smilies, you've got a big job ahead of you.

Thank You!
I'm proud of you
thankx

Life's too short!
#3 - October 15, 2013, 06:32 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Heh, heh. Think of them as characters in a book, Dionna. Our characters don't always use the best grammar, either, ya know? :)
#4 - October 16, 2013, 01:56 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Dionna

Good analogy, Verla!  I must admit, You Go Girl smilie is one of my favorite characters, right up there with Dancing Chicken!
#5 - October 16, 2013, 04:29 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Good analogy, Verla!  I must admit, You Go Girl smilie is one of my favorite characters, right up there with Dancing Chicken!

Ooh I dislike that one and the 'proud of you' one, too. Something about their faces and dumb expressions really winds me up! Yes, I know, that's weird. But surely everyone else also has smilie dislikes?!
#6 - October 16, 2013, 05:50 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
After all this time, they've become like characters to us.  :giggle  So, yeah, I think we can love some and hate others. Some people don't like the smilies, period, and turn them off.
#7 - October 16, 2013, 07:44 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Franzilla, if you can find better looking smilies that have the same signs waving around for the ones you don't like, I'll be happy to replace them! Just send the gifs to me in an email.
#8 - October 16, 2013, 09:50 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Oh no, I wouldn't want to do that, Verla. Because then what would Salina taunt me with then?! She'd have to revert to other, potentially more awful methods. Better the devil you know and all that. Thank you so much for the kind offer, though!
#9 - October 16, 2013, 12:18 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Those give me the creeps too, Siski--you're not the only one!!
#10 - October 16, 2013, 12:25 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Better? :gogirl
#11 - October 16, 2013, 03:24 PM
Verla Kay

Dionna

I like her little face! To each her own!
#12 - October 16, 2013, 03:30 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Much less creepy and much cuter!
#13 - October 16, 2013, 03:32 PM
The Leland Sisters series: Courtship and Curses, Bewitching Season, Betraying Season (Holt BYR/Macmillan)
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Hmmm.  :proud is clearly different, but I don't notice any difference in  :gogirl.
#14 - October 16, 2013, 04:05 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Marcia, the "you go girl" smiley used to be in a similar style to the "I'm proud of you" one.
#15 - October 16, 2013, 04:42 PM
www.marissadoyle.com
www.nineteenteen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Aah, the many ways to procrastinate when you should be writing. I just spent five minutes watching You go girl! and have decided that what she's actually saying is, Ooh Eeeh Ooh or You Get Rudy.

I do love our smilies. All of them, even the ones I hate. It's a love/hate thing. My favourite by far has to be this little guy :sigh Every time I see him, I just feel the poster's pain, you know? It's a real empathy-inducing smiley.
#16 - October 16, 2013, 05:53 PM

Members: