SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Keeping up on threads I partita the in...

Discussion started on

ancient amber

How might I find the settings or options that would allow me to keep updated, via my personal email, every time a response is added to a thread I participated in? I'd like to stay active in my threads and conversations (as opposed to a write, run and forget I participated).

Basically, I'd like to receive notifications when when the thread is responded to.
#1 - October 26, 2013, 12:28 PM

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
We currently have notifications turned off, ancient amber, because every single notification to every single person on the entire board was coming into MY email inbox, too! I don't want to even tell you how many emails I was getting that I shouldn't have gotten!

However, when you are logged in on the Blueboard, you should see a message at the top of the board saying, Hello <yourname>.

Right under that there are two links and today's date and time. It should look like this:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
October 26, 2013, 01:06:23 PM

The top link will show you all new posts on the board since you last logged on and the second link will show you all posts that you have messages in that have had responses/new messages.

These two links are GREAT time savers!

If you don't see these links, then your little UP arrow ^ in the top right corner of your board screen is pointing DOWN instead of UP.  Right now it's a white arrow on a light blue background. Very subtle and sometimes not easy to see, but it's there. Just make sure it is pointing UP and you will have these two incredibly helpful links.
#2 - October 26, 2013, 01:22 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

ancient amber

Thank you. It is good to understand how and why things work the way they do. I found the little notify button on the upper right hand corner of each thread and started using it. I will try your method as well.

Can I ask another question? The "bulletin bar code and smileys" disappeared and I am now given a "quick reply" box to write in. I miss the smilies and media!
#3 - October 27, 2013, 04:22 PM

Hi ancient amber,

If you click on "Reply" under the message, you will get the full reply window with all the smileys. If you scroll down to the bottom of the thread, you will see the Quick-Reply box. Hope this helps!
#4 - October 27, 2013, 04:49 PM
Youth Services librarian and YA writer. Wisconsin SW (Madison area) Rep.
@amandacoppedge on Twitter

ancient amber

Thank you! This might explain why sometimes it would show up and other times it wouldn't! I must have this tech junkie and like to understand why and how things work...

:thankyou
#5 - October 27, 2013, 04:50 PM
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:52 PM by ancient amber »

Chief Administrator
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
Yep. When you start a new thread you will see the first page of the smilies. When you use the quick reply box you can still insert smilies if you remember their codes. All codes start with a colon : some also end with a colon : and if you remember the words that go after the colon you can just type it in. Like : thankyou only without the space like this :thankyou.  Oh, and there's a second pop up menu of smilies if you click on the MORE button at the bottom of the smiley list.
#6 - October 27, 2013, 07:54 PM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Members: