SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Poetry Lessons for the Hard of Rhyming

Discussion started on

Donna

Your experience in college sounds much like mine, except I started out as a music major-concentration in voice (had a small scholarship for voice, too). Note the words, "started out". After breaking down the songs, the theory behind it all and singing what THEY wanted me to sing and HOW they wanted me to sing, I was burned out.They told me I couldn't "close my eyes" when I was singing. I had hold my head a certain way, gesture in certain places, etc. I felt much like a robot. Eventually, I found NO joy in singing - not even at church! I made the decision to change my major. It was hard, but I made the right decision.

For those who care, I majored in pschology with a concentration in rehabilitation and MINORED in music!  :laugh:

Grace and peace,
Donna

p.s. the teachers were great. the college was, too. I just needed to be me!  ;D
#31 - November 21, 2006, 10:58 AM

momalisa

Pickles,
This was so helpful to me.  I have been having a hard time balancing meter and syllable count.  I'm used to just writing a poem without much thought to the technical aspects.  Sometimes I will force the meter when I read my peoms to myself an not realize it is slightly off until someone else tries reading it.
This put into a better perspective.
Thanks!
Lisa
 :hug1:
#32 - March 15, 2007, 10:39 AM

Pickles

Lisa,

I'm glad my articles helped. My revamped website will be revealed sometime before April 1 or maybe ON April 1 to coincide with Yak's release.

#33 - March 15, 2007, 10:46 AM

stephwc

Thanks, Pickles.  Your articles are great. They were a nice balance to those I've read with a more technical focus. 

Stephanie
#34 - May 04, 2007, 05:04 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks Pickles!

I can't tell you how many poets I run across that think counting syllables is critical.  Also, I have to admit, I tend to be obsessed in using a regular stress patterns.  I need to break out of that more.  Keep the lessons coming. 

Bill
#35 - May 08, 2007, 02:59 PM

Pickles

Thank you, Bill.

Be sure to check out www.dorichaconas.com, also.
#36 - May 08, 2007, 03:47 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you Pickles:)

Bill
#37 - May 16, 2007, 09:27 AM

Members: