SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Christian Manuscript Submissions

Discussion started on

cdb

Christianmanuscriptsubmissions.com

Has anyone used this service? Anyone know anything about it? Thank you if you respond.

Carole
#1 - January 09, 2007, 08:13 AM

Pickles

Oh geez..this used to be 1st Addition. No, Carole. Don't go here. You shouldn't have to pay money for these things.

#2 - January 09, 2007, 08:41 AM

cdb

Thank you so much! I'm so new at all this. I just want to find the right place to submit to, ya know? I don't like this part.

Carole
#3 - January 09, 2007, 09:00 AM

Jean

I've been researching agents that deal with the Christian CHILDREN'S market. Almost nill.

Jean
#4 - July 31, 2007, 05:51 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newjersey
There are only a handful of Christian agents, and IMO, and experience,  I'd continue your agent search within the secular genre.

Sincerely,

Jaded Christian writer :-X
#5 - July 31, 2007, 06:23 PM
http://www.wendylynndeckerauthor.com
https://twitter.com/WendyDecker19
Sweet Tea (Vox Dei Publishing, October 20, 2015)
The Bedazzling Bowl (2006)

How about Terry Burns
#6 - July 31, 2007, 07:05 PM
10 Turkeys in the Road, Marshall Cavendish, Scholastic, Amazon 2011
The Lake Where Loon Lives, Islandport Press 2014
TOUCHDOWN, MeeGenius 2014

pixydust

Christian agents are few and far between. And ones who take Childrens or YA is almost nill. Conferences are quite pivital. It REALLY is who you know in CBA.

This is my favorite CBA con:

http://www.mounthermon.org/writers/index.php

Terry Burns is a nice guy, I know him from ACFW. Not sure how he is as an agent, though.

My agent was Sarah Van Diest from the Van Diest lit agency. She does consider some childrens material, I think.They're pretty well connected in the pub world, but even with two years on my work--and LOTS of conference time on both our parts--they couldn't sell it to CBA. Of course it was YA fantasy--a perfectly impossible sale in CBA. No more CBA for this chicky (that'd be me). I've had it. :faint: Plus my new ms is even less saleable in that market (vampire faeries? Ummm...na). And with both my mentors telling me to turn-coat to ABA, I'm taking their advice. ;)

There's also Terry Whalin: fairly new but really seeking clients and building a good rep.

I KNOW Mary Beth Chappel is looking for YA right now--especially cross-over (CBA to ABA). She's nice.

Not only is it hard to find an agent that accepts childrens in CBA, it's hard to find one--that's reputable--that accepts fiction.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, or anything. Hope it doesn't come off that way...

Here's a few more. Check their guidlines to see what they're looking for, cause I'm not entirely sure:

Janet Kobobel Grant (I know some of her clients--they really like her)

Beth Jusino (not sure about her. I know she's reputable, though)

Steve Laube (bit of a stick in the mud, but he does his job well.)

Wendy Lawton (really nice--not sure about her client list, though)

Les Stobbe (one of my friends just left this guy cause he didn't do much to help her sell. She's the one that finally made the deal happen, but this guy got the money--oh, and he only take "refered" clients)

Hope this helps someone! Good luck, on the subs!

#7 - July 31, 2007, 10:34 PM
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 10:46 PM by pixydust »

I have backed away from Christian publishers and agents. Like a lot of others (I'm sure) I was told that my first novel was "too religious" for the mainstream market and then not religious enough (too controversial) for the Christian market. Plus mine wasn't a series or set in the West in the 1800's.  I'm just going to keep writing the books I want to write and let the chips fall where they may.  As far as paying for a service, all I've got to say is :spaz
#8 - August 01, 2007, 08:24 AM

monika

I've been researching agents that deal with the Christian CHILDREN'S market. Almost nill.

Jean

This is the same experience I had. I've had a really hard time finding any agents who think they can sell children's (chapter books) to the CBA. they say the publishers aren't willing to take a risk, though they really like my books.

I, too, lost a contract with Cook Communications due to restructuring/refocus (returning to sunday school lit rather than children's fiction).

I'm ready to quit submitting to CBA, but that would mean doing a bit of rewriting so it's not "christian" with some of the dialogue. (Ironically, I had to add all those Christian references for it to be more palatable to Cook or other CBA pubs.)

I'm curious if the pub houses like Warner that are now doing "warner faith" is going to be the way to go instead?

~ Monika
#9 - August 22, 2007, 01:17 PM

Jean

Reading this thread is disheartening.  Seems almost futile to seek out a Christian publisher or agent for children's material.

I'm headed for my prayer closet.

Jean
#10 - September 04, 2007, 10:34 AM

Jean,
  Send up a few prayers for me, too! I started out writing solely for the Christian market; that's just who I am and what I'm about.  But it has been very discouraging trying to capture the attention of a Christian publisher or agent with strong ties to that market.

Monika,
  Sounds like we've traveled the same roads. I've rewritten an entire novel (twice) to either make the Christian POV more or less obvious. I'm determined to write the stories I'm supposed to write the way I want to write them.  In a lot of ways, it's not really in my hands at all. :yup
#11 - September 04, 2007, 03:27 PM

I'm going to present another side to this issue.  I did not use The Writer's Edge when I submitted my original manuscript to Kregel, at least not in the traditional sense.

Here's a link to their page:

http://www.writersedgeservice.com/

Now click on the link to the left that says "My Experience With The Writers Edge is . ."

These are testimonials from writers who paid for the service.  Skip down to number ten.  If you know anything about Christian publishing, you know that the book pictured, entitled William Henry is a Fine Name, won a Christy Award for author Cathy Gohlke this year.  There is her testimonial for you to read.  I can't say that I love it that Christian publishers are so understaffed that they have to use a service like this, but you can't deny that an award-winning author used this service and got three bites, and one led to a contract.

Yes, you will find testimonials from authors who never heard a thing.  There you go, it doesn't work for everyone.

I mentioned that I did not use them.  What I did was go through all the testimonials and I made a list of publishers that were buying.  Kregel came up several times.  They had just started a fiction line.  I was in the right place at the right time, because Kregel no longer takes unsolicited mss.  But Christian publishers DO use The Writer's Edge, and here's a list:

http://www.writersedgeservice.com/publist.htm

If you read through the whole list and look at the bottom, you will see "The following companies are not receiving our reports but we recommend writers submit appropriate manuscripts to them for the religious market" with an admittedly short list.

Here's an old post from elsewhere in Religious about Christian publishers.  I notice Barbour is there and they are open.  It's still true that you can query Bethany House with a one-page fax, too.

http://www.verlakay.com/boards/index.php?topic=2127.0

No disrespect to anyone here, but you can't compare Christian publishers to secular publishers, or even agents.  You have to decide what is right for you and your work, but that doesn't make the other choice  :devil:        
#12 - September 05, 2007, 10:04 AM
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 10:18 AM by Stef »
http://stephanielreed.com

"If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes." Mark 9:23

Jean

Thanks, Stef.  I've visited the website as you suggested and I'm considering using Writer's Edge. I cannot keep on beating my head against the publishing wall. I believe I have to do something to get more exposure for the manuscripts I'm submitting. My PBs are not overtly "Christian" - their foundations are Christian and their themes are Christian. I'm praying for wisdom. Since the Lord has told me to write stories for children and the adults who love them, it is logical to assume that He wants children to actually READ the stories. They can't do that unless the stories are published. They can't be published unless I can get some publisher somewhere to actually look at them. I tired of being frustrated over it.

Finding an agent to represent PBs to both Christian and secular publishers is another brick wall.

I'll keep thinking and praying to decide if this is the right avenue for me to follow.

Thanks, again.

Jean
#13 - September 14, 2007, 09:39 AM

Oh, Jean, I have tears in my eyes.  I know this feeling, too.  Press toward the mark.  You'll get there.  He knows you can do it, or He wouldn't have asked you.  Do you illustrate, too, just out of curiosity?  And have you submitted to Eerdman's Books for Young Readers?

http://www.eerdmans.com/youngreaders/submit.htm
#14 - September 14, 2007, 12:05 PM
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 12:09 PM by Stef »

Jean

Hi, Stef,

Thank you for the encouragement. It's been a couple of years since I subbed anything to Eerdman's. There name has come up several times in the past month, so I decided two weeks ago to try them again. Then, my husband had a medical emergency and ....

He's home and doing well now. So, I plan to get back into the subbing sadle this week. My goals are to check on a couple of subs I made several months ago, send out one of my manuscripts to Eerdman's and a query to an agent I've researched. Pretty ambitious week on top of the other things on my calendar.

The Lord has His perfect timing for everything. I keep reminding myself of that.

Unfortunately I do not illustrate - oh, how I wish I could! Do you?

Jean
#15 - September 16, 2007, 07:34 PM

Unfortunately I do not illustrate - oh, how I wish I could! Do you?

Haha!  Well, I do a mean doodle.  I don't have the knack for picture books.  Wish I did.

Sorry to hear about your husband.  I'm glad he's doing better. 

Persevere, Jean!

:hug1:
#16 - September 17, 2007, 07:29 AM

cdb

Thought I'd pop back in here with my 2 cents worth.

I have a story that has received a lot of comments from secular editors such as, "moving story", "touching story", or "not what we publish, please send more". I've been told it is a Christian crossover story, or something like that. Anyway, I'm just piping in to say that finally, last week, I subbed it to Eerdmans and will keep you posted. They do publish beautiful books. And yes, the Christian market is difficult to penetrate so I can relate.

Carole
#17 - September 17, 2007, 07:43 AM

:clover  Carole!

I have a warm place in my heart for Eerdman's--I submitted to them second after Zondervan, and they asked for the full (of Across the Wide River, not a PB) but ultimately passed.  Their PB When Abraham Talked to the Trees (about Abraham Lincoln) is lovely:

http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Talked-Trees-Elizabeth-Steenwyk/dp/0802851916
#18 - September 17, 2007, 07:51 AM

cdb

Steph, just took a peek and yes, the front cover is gorgeous. At first, I thought it was by you, but I see now that Across the Wide River is yours. I'll look at it next time I'm in the bookstore. There are so many people here who have books I want to see/read/buy. I want to show all my friends books and say, "I know this/that author." It makes me happy to do that.

Carole :girl
#19 - September 17, 2007, 08:10 AM

My advice is to go the websites of those publishers whom you are interested in and look up their submissions process.  They usually have them.  Most accept submissions without agents anyway. Also, attend conferences, not just for writers, but for bible school teachers, homeschoolers, and go to spiritual convocations, or what-have -ou and check out the sellers' tables. Talk to the sellers.  Schmooz.  This is important. Intorduce yourself.  Get business cards.  Also submit to Christian magazines (esp. children and family oriented ones).  Stories, articles, whatever.... 

I have written (nonfiction) for Christian (Catholic) publishers.  You don't need an agent for Christian publishers, but connections help a lot.  In my case, submitting to a magazine and having the editor like my stuff helped me.  Years later he recommended me to another editor who ended up e-mailing me and asking me to write a biography!  While my dream is still to publish my children's fiction, I used what I knew from writing children's fiction to write a fast-moving bio with a strong narrative. In end I got to add another book under my belt. Actually, I got two from that deal.  Doors open in mysterious ways.  Trust me...  Just keep swimming....I mean, writing....
#20 - September 17, 2007, 08:32 AM
The Arts-Angels, Track 1: DRAWN TO YOU
2012 from Brushstroke Books

big daddies

I could not resist chiming i, newbie or not.  I have circled this market for three years and find it quite intriguing.  I was reminded by my wife that if the Lord is in it and we are following, then regardless of tehe journey, we will make the destinaation (sometimes, not our destination and allot nicer place)!

:writing3:
While we sometimes consider our own way, we pray then say this way or that way, if we do take a wrong turn, is not GOd big enough to get us back on track?  What ever is inside you, given the challenges, I say, press on.  What you do today (writing) is not happenstance, even if you are just coming to it or you've been writing for years.  Is it the journey  or the destination?  Sometimes our attitude (not our focus) determines whether it is a slow ride or fast.  (ouch).

You have the gift of writing, let now one, no market, not hear from you.  When you stay the course, great things happen for others and this is the highest calling, because we have been obedient to what has been put inside us.  PRESS ON!

big daddies  (and I will be reading this post since as I was writing it, I recieved my words)..............
#21 - September 17, 2007, 06:49 PM

pixydust

You don't need an agent for Christian publishers, but connections help a lot.
This used to be true, but unfortunately it's not anymore. All the large publishers (ie: Zondervan, Bethany, Harvest House) require you to have an agent to sub to them. And connection in the CBA seem to be even more pivitol than in the ABA.
#22 - October 16, 2007, 06:55 PM

I also write Christian based YA and MG's. Long story short, I signed with my agent BEFORE revising my ms's to be more Christian-like. IMO, I believe you don't necessarily have to sign with an agent that deals with just Christian based novels. There are several YA novels out there that are with traditional publishers. One I can think of is Jacquelin Thomas.

Good luck

-L
#23 - October 30, 2007, 10:21 AM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

I'm new and found this thread very helpful. What do the acronyms CBA and ABA stand for? :eh:
#24 - November 15, 2007, 07:27 PM
Unraveled, Evernight Teen, Spring 2013
Uncovered, Evernight Teen, Aug 2014
www.sxbradley.com
http://twitter.com/SusanXBradley

big daddies

Christian booksellers association
#25 - November 18, 2007, 08:46 AM

pixydust

CBA: Christian Booksellers Association

ABA: American Booksellers Association

8)
#26 - December 31, 2007, 12:04 AM

Just giving an update. My Christian based MG and YA are still out with secular pubs. Any day now my agent should be hearing back from them.

I'll keep ya posted.

-L
#27 - January 02, 2008, 05:52 PM
Unsinkable
A Bond Broken
Cassi da Conch

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I had success with series fiction in the CBA when MG paperback series had their heyday (1990s). I found an agent to rep me even though the market was skittish even then -- not nearly as weak as today -- because I'd already sold books on my own. Still, in the end I got chewed up and spit out. Right around 2000 I heard the buzz that the CBA had thrown in the towel in kids' books because they couldn't win significant market share from the ABA. I feel terrible for new Christian children's writers who are excited about breaking into the CBA. I'm not sure it can be done -- or that you want to do it. My encouragement is to write the books you need to write, let them grow out of who you are, experiment with all the techniques and forms at your disposal (they're not all available to you in CBA), totally let go of any need to preach/teach and trust God and the creative process, and plan to market to the mainstream.
#28 - January 31, 2008, 06:22 AM
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 01:04 PM by mrh »
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region northtexas
I've prayerfully drawn the conclusion that this market slumped a la Matt 25: 28-29. I hate to sound discouraging when one of my spiritual gifts is ENcouragement, but I feel terrible for new Christian children's writers who are excited about breaking into the CBA. I'm not sure it can be done -- or that you want to do it. As for me, I'm done  :banghead, and remember, I WAS there. And agented.

I read this thread last night and found it really useful. Hope no one minds me reviving it. This morning, in Publisher's Lunch I read that Jane Friedman (CEO) said the strongest division at HarperCollins was the U.S. Children's division  :applause but the "soft" spot was Zondervan and that the "CBA was diminishing" and she doesn't think it will get better in the near future. She also said that Zondervan will reduce their titles and focus on publishing those that can cross over into the general market.

#29 - May 08, 2008, 11:43 AM
bridgettebooth.com
twitter.com/Bridgette_Booth

She also said that Zondervan will reduce their titles and focus on publishing those that can cross over into the general market.

Thanks for the info, jbooth!

This may be a long shot, but do you think Zondervan's new plan means they will still require the use of the Christian first reader service?  I hope not!  Using it may eliminate the worst of the manuscripts, but it will also eliminate folks whose finances (and, dare I say, principles) prevent them from submitting.  Zondervan, like many other Christian publishers, has some beautiful books and I'm disappointed that I must keep them off my radar.
#30 - May 09, 2008, 04:45 PM

Members: