SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

LDS writers

Discussion started on

chrisser

Elissa, Dr. Tunnell is the reason I fell in love with kid lit. He has such a passion for children's books, and is a kind, funny, talented man. My respect for him is right up there with Mr. Alexander!

8)
#31 - April 21, 2010, 07:31 PM

sdficklin

Hey, Bree Despain (a.k.a. Cupcake) , Are you going to be signing Dark Divine at the book signing this weekend? Should I bring my own copy or can I get one there?
#32 - April 22, 2010, 07:14 AM

Penn Bender

So is this conference sponsored by the Y?  I've never heard of it before.  It'd be nice to schedule road trip west next year around it though.  Please post if you find any 2011 dates.
#33 - May 03, 2010, 08:19 AM

I wish I could go, but I'm in Europe.
I do come to the US twice a year as I'm getting my MFA at Vermont College of Fine Arts. But don't make it to Utah as often as I'd like.

Anyone have a head count of how many of us are on the blue boards?
Olmue might.
We should have an LDS blueboarders get together sometime. Or a virtual get together.
#34 - May 03, 2010, 08:25 AM
Sarah Blake Johnson, MFA
http://sarahblakejohnson.blogspot.com/
Crossings (2017, Cedar Fort)

So is this conference sponsored by the Y?  I've never heard of it before.  It'd be nice to schedule road trip west next year around it though.  Please post if you find any 2011 dates.

The WIFYR conference used to be sponsored by the Y, but it isn't any longer.  They've moved the venue up into the Salt Lake Valley, but other than that it's the same amazing conference that was started at the Y.

As far as I know, BYU no longer has any writing conferences for children's writers.  They do have a conference geared more toward teachers and librarians, however.  I can't remember what it is called.

WIFYR is always in June.  Usually the second week (or maybe the third).  I'll ask Carole Lynch Williams and see if she knows of the 2011 dates.  She's the one who is in charge of the conference, so if she doesn't know, then the dates haven't been set.
#35 - May 03, 2010, 10:01 AM

Here's the link for the WIFYR that Carol puts on. (She is also a VCFA--Vermont College MFA grad)
http://www.foryoungreaders.com/
Carol has a great faculty lined up for this year. It is in Sandy, at the Waterford School, June 14-18th, 2010.
It says registration closes June 11th.

They'll likely post the 2011 dates around next January or so. But you can contact Carol before then, if you want to.
The link for the conference will also show the dates--as soon as they have the conference scheduled.
#36 - May 03, 2010, 10:45 AM
Sarah Blake Johnson, MFA
http://sarahblakejohnson.blogspot.com/
Crossings (2017, Cedar Fort)

Penn Bender

Thanks elissacruz and sarah.  The message board suddenly feels a lot smaller since I found this thread.
#37 - May 05, 2010, 09:20 AM

For those who asked about 2011 dates for WIFYR...

Carol got back to me and said that they have tentatively scheduled the conference for the second week in June, but she's hoping to move it up to the first week.

So the best I can give you is to plan on the first or second week in June 2011.

If you need to make travel plans and you haven't heard final dates, look me up and I'll ask Carol if they have finalized everything.  Hope you all can make it one of these years!
#38 - May 05, 2010, 10:56 AM

jollygreen23

I'm not going, but I've always been impressed with how many good authors out there are LDS (especially in YA). Shannon Hale is one of my favorite writers.

Some day, I'll be one of them. :)
#39 - June 12, 2010, 07:44 PM

Hey, anyone interested in joining a totally LDS writers forum? Come join us at Latterdayauthors.com. The URL for the site is

http://www.latterdayauthors.com/wforum/index.php?sid=711d47e8335928662cafaf24d6ed008b

Come join us for some good wholesome discussions about writing.
#40 - June 17, 2010, 02:23 PM
Come join my novel writing journey where I often offer writing tips at www.paulwwest.com, and find my novel Bridgetown High set in Crockett, Californi

Kate Kae

I'd like to go to the 2011 conference in June; I'm only 6+ hours away.
#41 - June 18, 2010, 07:39 AM

There is also the SCBWI Regional Conference in November in Salt Lake, Kate.  You should come to that one, too.  Because it will be awesome. 

Well, I 'll be there, anyway.  (Not that I am the reason the conference is awesome.  But I help with the planning, and from what I've heard so far, it'll be a good one.)

BTW, just came back from the 2010 WIFYR Conference.  And you all missed out on some good stuff, like amazing presenters, great participants, and a Lady Gaga Bad Romance spoof by some of the faculty and staff.  Priceless. 
#42 - June 18, 2010, 08:37 PM

Kate Kae

Sounds like great fun, Elissa. Happy for you it was a benefit. Yes, I really should come to the November SCBWI. Keep me posted as to dates, etc. and if I can swing the time off from work, I'll do it--because meeting you again would be a huge perk!
#43 - June 19, 2010, 09:55 AM

Jenna

I go to BYU and while they don't have a children's conference anymore (that I am aware of at least) this past February they did have Life, the Universe, and Everything. It's geared more toward sci-fi/fantasy writers and illustrators, but they do have panels that are general, and some of the panels focused on YA (I didn't see as much on children). And they have it every year. It's not a conference, it's a symposium, but it's a lot cheaper. Free for students (not just Y students, but any college/high school/middle school), then $20 or $25 depending on when you register.
#44 - April 15, 2011, 02:02 PM

LTUE is a good conference!  If you can go, do!

And you're right, they don't have the children's writing conference at BYU anymore (though the conference wasn't cancelled, it just moved to Salt Lake and is no longer affiliated with BYU..it's the WIFYR conference mentioned earlier in this thread).

#45 - April 15, 2011, 02:42 PM

Kate Kae

My son went to "Life, the Universe and Everything" and came away just humming with excitement. He loved every minute. The only hour he didn't take a class was on the one for Twilight and romance.
#46 - April 21, 2011, 07:50 AM

Members: