SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Double space, 12 point font, indent first line. In a header on each page, have your last name and the  book title or an abbreviated version of i and a page number. (This step is less necessary if everyone reads online and the work is PB length, but it's helpful if they print and drop the pages, especially for longer works. )
There is some flexibility. Personally, I left justify, but there is this: https://kidlit.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Picture-Book-Manuscript-Format.pdf
Picture Books (PB) / Children's Picture Book Manuscript Formatting
« Last post by lindsay-l on Yesterday at 12:34 PM »
Hi, All!

I'm scouring various resources for guidance on how to submit children's picture book manuscripts to agents/editors. Specifically -- how to format the manuscripts.

I see a lot of concrete guidance on how to format the title page, but nothing on how to format the body (indent new paragraphs, for example? Keep them left justified?)

Could anyone please advise or direct me to a reputable template? Thank you!
Picture Books (PB) / MOVED: Best book printer
« Last post by Vijaya on December 05, 2022, 11:08 AM »
Picture Books (PB) / Re: Publishers For Children’s Picture Book
« Last post by JodyJS on December 04, 2022, 05:03 AM »
Check out Heather Ayris Burnell's Monster List of Picture Book Publishers! http://frolickingthroughcyberspace.blogspot.com/2019/11/an-updated-monster-list-of-picture-book.html
« Last post by Debbie Vilardi on December 03, 2022, 06:46 PM »
As Davis said, there are no work arounds, except having a stellar book that fits the market of the moment. There are other publishers that don't require an agent. Charlesbridge and Chronicle are two as I recall. Always double check. This is a nonfiction list, but some will also take fiction: https://www.nonfiction-ninjas.com/blog/open-for-submissions.

It used to be that each of the large houses had a small imprint open to unagented subs, but I don't think any do now.

Anyway, good luck.
« Last post by katie-woodson on December 03, 2022, 04:32 PM »
Thank you David! I need to up my game to get into the professional writing circle. Workshops, conferences, and retreats are a good thing and will need to see what's doable for me. Also submitting to contests and gearing up for short story submissions with the hope to get publish. 
« Last post by David Wright on December 03, 2022, 02:29 PM »
Generally, the big do not accept unsolicited manuscripts from non-represented authors.

There are some exceptions, from time to time. For example, Penguin Random House Canada is currently open to BIPOC / LGBTQ+ authors only.
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/imprints/RR/random-house-canada/submissions

As for a work around to contacting someone....The work has to stand on its own.

You could meet an AW agent via a conference, retreat, workshop, training, but you've already submitted. I can't imagine it would help.

Picture Books (PB) / Publishers For Children’s Picture Book
« Last post by katie-woodson on December 03, 2022, 12:48 PM »
I am looking for a publisher for my children’s picture book. In doing research I saw that the five main publishers will accept book proposals for children’s books without an agent. Is this true? If so, how do I go about it? I looked on each website and couldn’t find anything.

I did submit to a few places (Albert Whitman & Company, Flashlight Press, and Holiday House to name a few) and hope for a positive response. I’d really like to connect with Albert Whitman & Company since it’s in my area. They don’t want people to reach out, so I won’t do that but if anyone knows of a work around of getting in touch with a person at Albert Whitman & Company, please let me know.
Mindy,

This sounds like a great idea. Now I just have to figure out the logistics on getting a password protected page on my website. :)

Thank you!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10