SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
I have STEM-like book about a woman scientist who was sort of forgotten by history but she make significant contributions to her field.  Her story is vaguely similar to Rosalind Franklin, but I think that the subject matter would be of more interest to young readers.   I have about 3,000-4,000 words.  This is a non-technical book and the science is straightforward.

What genre would this be and what age demographics should I target?
Picture Books (PB) / Re: book trailer
« Last post by Melody on November 05, 2021, 07:02 PM »
Brian, as others have mentioned, trailers are to plug the book. I do not use my trailers to attract anyone but potential readers. I use them on social media when I am releasing a new book. I think that's what a lot of authors use them for.  There are lots of ways to advertise. You just have to find the method that works for you.
« Last post by Debbie Vilardi on November 05, 2021, 06:26 PM »
Success has many definitions. The definition a publisher would use doesn't have to be yours. Many traditionally published books don't sell 5000 copies either, so try to get that trailer where your customers are. And see how many books you can sell.
« Last post by brian-hylbert on November 05, 2021, 08:55 AM »
This. Once you publish, it's published. Unless you sell over 5000 copies, no one in the industry will look at it. Why buy a product that failed and expect if to succeed for you? Remember, this is a business.

i get your point.  i'm approaching this debut as a sort of "proof of concept" for the series that it kicks off.  maybe an intriguing trailer could
pique someone's interest in the concept and aesthetic regardless of whatever paltry # of product i move in my little world... maybe not.
i may be naive in thinking this can be anything more than a "failed product" as you put it without having some real publicity traction already.
i appreciate your candor, 
(slumps off)

« Last post by Debbie Vilardi on November 04, 2021, 06:29 PM »
The main audience for a book trailer should be potential customers, like a short commercial. If the book is already published (self or otherwise), agents and editors won't be interested in that content.

This. Once you publish, it's published. Unless you sell over 5000 copies, no one in the industry will look at it. Why buy a product that failed and expect if to succeed for you? Remember, this is a business.
Research / Re: Advice from the National Parks Service?
« Last post by Melody on November 04, 2021, 03:30 PM »
Yes, you may want to contact a park directly and see you can round up to help you.
« Last post by Melody on November 04, 2021, 03:29 PM »
I got mine done for about $50. I can put you in touch with Opal if you like. She is here in the US.
If the NM SCBWI does the Ed Publishing webinar series next year, you should look into it. Re: working for book packagers. :)
« Last post by JulieM on November 04, 2021, 01:55 PM »
In case you are interested, a staffer at my publisher (in Australia) made a short and simple trailer for my book published this week. It is on their web site and in social media to promote the new release. https://www.publish.csiro.au/book/8009/
« Last post by dinalapomy101 on November 04, 2021, 12:32 PM »
The main audience for a book trailer should be potential customers, like a short commercial. If the book is already published (self or otherwise), agents and editors won't be interested in that content.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10