SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Too much SEL?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
I just watched a presentation with an editor from Macmillan and they said the pb market is starting to become saturated with sel books.

Thoughts?
#1 - March 17, 2022, 11:37 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I think most PBs have an SEL component, but no one pointed it out before. How many books deal with making a friend or overcoming a fear? How many have someone standing up to help someone else or showing resilience or learning to adjust a message to the needs of an audience? How many are about learning to share or love yourself for who you are? All of these are SEL topics. They include the earliest PBs, the classics, and books of today. 
#4 - March 18, 2022, 06:11 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
That's  a very good point Debbie. I didn't think of it that way.
#5 - March 18, 2022, 07:07 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I think everything goes through cycles. A few years back it seemed publishers wanted more unknown histories/bios about women. Now there is a glut in PB Bios. I think the pandemic highlighted a need for social emotional learning books, and now there might be too many.

But as always, a book with great voice and written in a new angle can always sell, regardless of a "glut".
#6 - March 19, 2022, 10:56 AM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, May 2021)
Tell Someone (Albert Whitman, October 2021)
Peculiar Primates (Running Press Kids, October 2022)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wwa
I am a kindergarten teacher and next school year we are required to teach SEL specifically for 30 min/week. I don't know if that's just a state thing or what. That definitely guides me when picking books, and affects choices in my writing. Like Debbie said, most PBs have elements of it in there.
#7 - March 23, 2022, 08:11 PM
FROM WHERE I WATCH YOU/Soho Teen
Twitter @Shannywriter

http://shannongrogan.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region epa
I am a kindergarten teacher and next school year we are required to teach SEL specifically for 30 min/week. I don't know if that's just a state thing or what. That definitely guides me when picking books, and affects choices in my writing. Like Debbie said, most PBs have elements of it in there.

That's very interesting. Thank you for sharing that.
#8 - March 23, 2022, 08:20 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Actually, I believe many states have or are putting out SEL curricula. This is likely something you can research online.
#9 - March 23, 2022, 09:21 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: