SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Animation with Kids

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Can anyone recommend a program/app for creating frame animations from drawings? Really simple, kid-friendly tutorials are helpful too!

My son has taken an interest. He's done stop motion and stick guy stop motion. But he wants to create animations from his drawings as well. I know we could do this by drawing multiple pictures & using the stop motion app, but are there other options? I animated one of his drawings via photoshop but the process was clunky when trying to add audio & save to easy format to share on social media & youtube. But only needing to make a single drawing was nice!

Here's the one from this morning (He's 9... & loves potty humour/dark humor) :lol4
https://youtu.be/zGFPccidyiM
#1 - May 06, 2018, 09:36 AM

Poster Plus
I don't have an answer to your question, Marla, but am impressed with your son's video. It must take a great deal of patience to produce stop-motion animation!!

#2 - May 06, 2018, 03:46 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Hey,
This program is what I used to get my feet wet.

https://my.smithmicro.com/anime-studio-debut.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9b2wlsHK2wIVxLjACh05sAYYEAAYASAAEgKlKPD_BwE

There are a million free tutorials on youtube. I’m sure there is a free program you could find, but the bone rigging in Moho is second to none. In my opinion anyway.  I think there’s a free trial too. Let me know if you have more questions, and way to go supporting his interests. Wish I had been given that kind of support instead of being forced to play football. But at least I learned how to lose ten out of ten games in a season.
Brandon
#3 - June 10, 2018, 07:02 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Oh! If you want frame by frame animation, then you should just use photoshop. You already have it. A million free tutorials on youtube as well. As for adding audio, you probably will want to upload your rendered video into a movie editor. I use imovie and Davinci Resolve. There are expensive programs that integrate this stuff into a single program, but if he’s 9, you may not want to spend a ton on this yet. The skills he needs to learn will follow him to whatever program he ends up using. Again, let me know if you need help finding a rurorial or, potentially, I could whip one up depending on what you need help with.
Brandon
#4 - June 11, 2018, 06:53 AM
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:06 AM by brandon-jennings »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Thanks Brandon! I will definitely check these out.
#5 - June 11, 2018, 09:40 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
My son, who is 7, has really gotten into stop-motion animation. He's got a couple kits now that are especially for making stop-motion movies, with like camera stands for your phone and backgrounds and stuff.

We use an app that's just called Stop Motion. It makes it super easy - you set up the camera, take the pictures of each frame, and it puts it together into a movie that you can export in a bunch of different file formats. You can also add audio, filters, title cards, etc. The app is free, though some features you have to pay for.
#6 - June 11, 2018, 09:44 AM

Members: