SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Re: Whatcha reading?

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I loved The War that Saved My Life. I hope our library has the sequel.

Me too. Pons, just put in a request for the book. That's what I did and I'm waiting.

I'm still feeling very :xmastree and the book I loved best was Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden.
#1081 - January 12, 2018, 10:08 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I don't like dystopia either, but I LOVE southern Utah. So I may have to read CROSSED. Or MATCHED.
#1082 - January 13, 2018, 06:49 AM
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:57 AM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
THE BALLAD OF BOOSTER BOGG
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

I'm on  a non-fiction kick right now, but I'm sprinkling in MG as well.  I just finished THE GREATEST KNIGHT: THE REMARKABLE LIFE OF WILLIAM MARSHALL by Thomas Ashbridge and it is amazing! If there was ever a book that needed a movie or mini-series, this is it. I also finished SERAFINA AND THE SPLINTERED HEART this week, and as always, it was a joy to read. I love Asheville, NC and Biltmore Estate, so it's especially fun for me.  I'm about to start another NF: WAR OF THE ROSES by Dan Jones, I've read him before, and it should be a good follow-up to THE GREATEST KNIGHT.  I'm also about to get a Lauren Magaziner book, not sure which one, but they look wildly entertaining!
#1083 - January 15, 2018, 05:47 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
I was blown away by Bonnie Sue Hitchcock's handling of multiple 1st person POVs in The Smell of Other People's Houses.  It's one of those books I started re-reading a day after I finished it just so I could admire how it was handled.  Another, very different book that handled multiple POV so well was Ruta Sepetys's WWII book, Salt to the Sea.
#1084 - January 15, 2018, 08:15 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
I'm still feeling very :xmastree and the book I loved best was Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden.
Oh, I LOVE Rumer Godden! I have a copy of HOLLY AND IVY and re-read it just a few weeks ago. I think for me it is going to be a "read this every Christmas" kind of book.  My kids aren't really old enough for it yet, unfortunately.

Right now I am reading a YA novel, ASYLUM. The writing style didn't win me, but it's genuinely creepy. For me this is one of those books you want to read in print form rather than on an e-reader, because of the images.
#1085 - January 15, 2018, 03:14 PM

I read J.R. Tolkien Letters to Father Christmas.  The book had the actual letters in their envelopes with artwork.  Enjoyed the book and I thought it was fun to read like you could read it to your small child.
#1086 - January 15, 2018, 04:02 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region iowa
I'm reading Frances Hardinge's A FACE LIKE GLASS and enjoying it a great deal--which is good, because it's five hundred pages, I started it last night, and my book group is discussing it on Tuesday.
#1087 - January 20, 2018, 07:02 PM
Learning to Swear in America (Bloomsbury, July 2016)
What Goes Up (Bloomsbury, 2017)
Twitter: KatieWritesBks

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
I just so happened to be rereading, for the billionth time, A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA, when I saw UKL's obit. It made finishing the book especially emotional.
#1088 - January 26, 2018, 04:37 PM

Saw the anime Earthsea by Ghibli studios.    Finished Woman in Cabin in Number 10 liked the mystery and read its going to be a movie, too.
#1089 - January 26, 2018, 06:28 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
If you get a chance to read Allegedly, by Tiffany D Jackson, do so. Better yet, listen t it on CD, which was what I did. Riveting. I kept thinking: is this kid going to get a break? And how is this going to end?   :goldstar

Contemporary YA, dark, edgy. Along the lines of The Hate U Give, IMO.
#1090 - January 27, 2018, 01:25 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I read J.R. Tolkien Letters to Father Christmas.  The book had the actual letters in their envelopes with artwork.  Enjoyed the book and I thought it was fun to read like you could read it to your small child.

This sounds wonderful.
#1091 - January 27, 2018, 04:17 PM

It was wonderful to read.  If you haven't read the book, maybe you could visit your local library and read it to remember what it was like writing letters to Santa and leaving him cookies as a child.
#1092 - January 27, 2018, 05:17 PM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I finished HELLO UNIVERSE (Newbery winner) last week. A librarian I know used to say that "all those Newbery books just sit on the shelf and no one ever reads them." This isn't going to be one of those. It features a couple of special needs kids and tackles bullying without being preachy--not an easy thing to do. It also cuts against stereotypes.

Has anyone else read it?   
#1093 - March 15, 2018, 02:05 PM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohionorth
Betsy, I just read Hello, Universe, too. Interesting use of shifting perspectives---3rd person for a couple of characters' chapters; 1st for another. I agree that it's not preachy, and that it cuts against stereotypes (although the bully, Chet, does seem a bit stereotypical to me; still, I was pleased that he didn't reform by the end).

A new YA in verse I just read is Joy McCullough's Blood Water Paint, about 17th-century painter Artemisia Gentileschi. Historical fiction can be a hard sell, but this one is not only a tense and compelling read, it feels fresh and speaks to our current moment in terms of gender and power.
#1094 - March 18, 2018, 07:53 PM

Writing Bliss & Author Dreams
Poster
I LOVE middle grade fantasy. My TBR pile is huge. lol. I re-read the Adventurers Wanted series not too long ago and I've just started Arlo Finch and the Valley of Fire.

:flowers2
#1095 - March 19, 2018, 02:17 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Thanks, Kathy and rab...

rab--You're right about the bully. On the other hand, I think the author was walking a fine line, and I was glad she didn't fall into the trap of trying to explain away Chet's behavior --which I'm afraid I would have tried to do if I had written that book.

I'll take a look at Blood, Water, Paint. Sounds interesting.
#1096 - March 19, 2018, 10:26 AM
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:33 AM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
 :new
I'm reading George Orwell's "Burmese Days."  I'm almost done with it and am beginning to put together my summer reading list.  Summer will be here before we know it!
#1097 - March 24, 2018, 04:56 PM

Just started reading the fairy-tale The Bear and the Nightingale which does seem like an interesting Russian fairy-tale.
#1098 - March 25, 2018, 10:21 AM

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
I love this thread. But I'd love it even more if some of you would tell why you chose the book you're reading--and what you like and don't like about it. Or at least, a line or two describing what the book is about, so the rest of us can decide if we'd like to read it. Thanks.
#1099 - March 25, 2018, 11:47 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I love this thread. But I'd love it even more if some of you would tell why you chose the book you're reading--and what you like and don't like about it. Or at least, a line or two describing what the book is about, so the rest of us can decide if we'd like to read it. Thanks.
I'm currently reading "Inheritance" by Christopher Paolini (4th book in series). It's wonderfully and intelligently written. The world-building is great and the character development is so good that the characters feel as though they are part of my family (it probably helps that the books are rather long).

I've chosen to read the series because I've been reading through my son's fantasy collection while he's at college. For some reason, "the Eragon series" (as I've always called it) never piqued my interest. I blame the movie for that. I'm so glad that my son repeatedly recommended that I give it a shot and that I finally did. The stories are extraordinary!

#1100 - April 06, 2018, 07:59 PM
MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS ROCK!
     (Pun intended/see Avatar)
:books

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Thanks, Bridget. I'll take a look at that one again. I don't think I ever read Eragon.
#1101 - April 07, 2018, 08:51 PM
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:55 PM by Betsy »
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

I did not read the book, but I've  seen the movie Eragon, and it was enjoyable.
#1102 - April 08, 2018, 09:14 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I did not read the book, but I've  seen the movie Eragon, and it was enjoyable.

You know what they say about movies based on books: "The book is always better than the movie." When it comes to Eragon, that's at least tenfold.  And, I liked Eldest equally and Brisingr even more (both also read fairly recently).

At nearly 850 pages and intelligently written, I'm tempted to describe my current read, "Inheritance" as a Chris Paolini tome, but it's an enjoyable tome nonetheless. If you like fantasy with all its elves, dwarfs, other fictional characters and creatures, and well-crafted societies with complete histories and belief systems of their own, the Inheritance Cycle should enthrall.
#1103 - April 08, 2018, 10:28 AM
MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS ROCK!
     (Pun intended/see Avatar)
:books

Thank you, I'm  not absolutely a big fan of dragons and other things, and I might take a look at the book "Inheritance" since I'm a person who does read.
#1104 - April 08, 2018, 02:10 PM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
If you're interested in science fiction (YA), I'm just starting the third in the Illuminae trilogy. I like this trilogy in part because of the unique formatting -- the entire story is told through gathered 'documents' and recovered files. It's almost like reading a movie (because there aren't long sections explaining the setting or phrases to explain time passing, etc; instead, everything is implied through the dates on the documents, and the reader is part of the action/dialogue). It's an interesting world, as well -- very science-y, though none of it is explained, so it's definitely more for folks who like the science basis without needing to know that it's physically (Physics-ally) possible. ;)
#1105 - April 08, 2018, 02:35 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Bought Patricia MacLachlan's THE POET'S DOG (ebook) yesterday. It was on sale and I couldn't pass it up!

Reading OUR MUTUAL FRIEND - very slowly and steadily.
#1106 - April 12, 2018, 09:18 PM
Writing & Illustrating Quietly Bold Kidlit

https://carryusoffbooks.com/
My Clearest Me
Little Orchid's Sea Monster Trouble

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Not if I Save You First, by Ally Carter. YA suspense, set mainly in Alaska although it starts in Washington, DC.

Older MG or  younger YA. It has been months since I've liked a book this much, and generally I'm not fond of suspense (life's scary enough without reading about it, for crying out loud). But I thought worked on a lot of levels.
#1107 - April 24, 2018, 08:04 PM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
"Not if I Save You First, by Ally Carter. YA suspense, set mainly in Alaska although it starts in Washington, DC. " I just read this too. :) I liked the adventure feel, and as a fan of Carter's books (despite the somewhat emotionally immature MCs she often creates), I really enjoyed it. It isn't super suspenseful (but then, I like adult suspense/thrillers, and those are pretty intense sometimes), but it's definitely entertaining and a quick read, I thought.
#1108 - April 25, 2018, 10:20 AM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Andracill--thank you so much for telling a bit about "Not if I Save You First" by Ally Carter.  It helps so much when posters on this board give a few details about the book they're reading.

You definitely piqued my interest.
#1109 - April 26, 2018, 09:25 AM
www.ellenjackson.net
PICKY EATERS
OCTOPUSES ONE TO TEN
THE MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE
BEASTLY BABIES
TOOLING AROUND

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Du Iz Tak? by Carson Ellis. Lovedlovedloved this for it's brilliance. There are so many PBs about the wonder in our backyards, but Ellis is so original and funny! A book to study and enjoy and share. Reviewed on my blog with a couple more adult books.
#1110 - April 27, 2018, 05:28 AM

Members: