SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Should I start over? (Illustrations already in color and wrong size?)

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Hi everyone! I am pretty new, and I've been having fun learning from people who have posted here.

I have a question I'm hoping you guys can help with --  I've written and illustrated a picture book, but now I'm wondering if I need to start over on the illustrations. I've read that it is best to submit a dummy book in black and white, but I've already got the color completed. Should I redraw the illustrations in pencil and submit that way?

Also - The illustrations are on 9x9-inch paper. Is that size ok, or would it be better to have an 8.5x11-inch ratio?

Thanks for any thoughts!
#1 - February 15, 2018, 08:16 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I'd say the sizing is fine - there are books that are 8" X 8" & 10" X 10" and probably 9" X 9".

Typically you would submit in B&W because you are only submitting your rough sketches along with 2-3 final samples. Do you have the rough pencil sketches in any size? You could use that. The problem with submitting fully final art is that they may believe you are hesitant to make changes. If you do submit as is, make it clear in the cover letter that you are open to revising the images.
#2 - February 16, 2018, 01:30 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Just popping in to agree with Marla, she's  spot on!! Good luck subbing the dummy!
#3 - February 16, 2018, 03:24 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Thank you so much, Marla and Chris! It is wonderful to have input from people who know what they are doing!

I don't have any pencil sketches that are good enough to send, but I am more than willing to remake the drawings in black and white. I have already worked on this project for years, so a little extra time is well worth it.

I am still nervous about the size, but if 9 by 9 is acceptable I will continue with that. I already have a lot of paper bought in this size and I like working with it.

This will be a series of picture books, so I want to make sure I get everything right the first time so they're consistent.

Thank you again! I hope you both have a fantastic day.
#4 - February 16, 2018, 08:48 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I have already worked on this project for years, so a little extra time is well worth it. This will be a series of picture books, so I want to make sure I get everything right the first time so they're consistent.

Starrla, nothing at all wrong with being a bit of a perfectionist, your right that when you've put so much time in alreadywhat's a little more. Well done for being willing to go that extra mile :)
#5 - February 16, 2018, 01:16 PM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Thanks for the encouragement Chris!
#6 - February 16, 2018, 06:21 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Hi again! Hoping for a bit more advice on this topic, if possible. Would it be a good idea to send my current illustrations if they are grey-scaled in Photoshop? I played around with it the past couple weeks, and although I wasn't able to turn it into a line drawing, it looks kind of like a shaded pencil drawing.

I tried tracing my illustrations by hand, and found it to be more time-consuming than I thought in order to get the line drawings perfect. I'm concerned about spending too much time on the dummy book, since  a publisher will most likely change things about the illustrations anyway.

What are your thoughts?
#7 - March 11, 2018, 08:40 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Starrla, this reply might be coming late. First as mentioned nothing wrong with submitting a full rendered dummy as long as you’re clear that everything is open for change.  Also nothing wrong with desaturation or grayscaling most of the interior pages. I wouldn’t recommend using filters in photoshop to alter the existing art for the dummy (your art will most likely look like the filter, which is not the intent).

Depending on the publisher (or agent) you might even initially submit one piece of sample art with the manuscript.  Always check the submission guidelines.

One last little item for future consideration. You mentioned tracing the current art to get it perfect - you’re working too hard :) if you were to redo some art keep it loose.

Think of a dummy accomplishing 3 things: 1. Show the main character and illustration style (cover image + 1 or 2 spreads fully rendered)  2. Pacing/page turns/page count. How does your story flow across a 32 page +/- book. 3. Visual story telling -  sense of layout,  environment, character  and this can be very loose/sketchy.

Hope that helps a bit and best of luck!
#8 - April 12, 2018, 08:54 PM

Members: