Rutgers 2018 Application is now open!

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Hello all!

I saw a Twitter announcement that the application for the Rutgers conference for October 20, 2018 is now open. Here is the link: http://www.ruccl.org/

Good luck to all who apply!
#1 - April 16, 2018, 12:42 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I was just thinking about this an hour ago. Thanks for letting us know it was up.  (I love this conference.) I'll have to decide what to submit.
#2 - April 16, 2018, 08:05 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Good luck, everyone!
Abby
#3 - June 29, 2018, 03:23 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I wonder how many of us have applied. Good luck from me too.
#4 - June 29, 2018, 08:24 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Yes, good luck to everyone who applies! The more I think about the one that I attended in October of 2016, the more I realize how much of a role it played in me signing with my agent. But not very directly. After the conference I was reviewing what the various editors were looking for and one stated that she was looking for a "quiet book, perfect for bedtime." Which many editors don't ask for! I remembered I quiet story I had given up on a few years earlier and decided to pull it out and take a second look. After months of revisions, though the editor didn't acquire it, I did send the story out to agents, and that's the one that caught my now-agent's attention!
#5 - June 30, 2018, 06:37 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Yay!!! Just got an acceptance letter. Thrilled to be going!!! Who else?
Abby :yippee
#6 - August 22, 2018, 02:01 PM
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:53 PM by aca »

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I just got my acceptance letter as well! I've applied before an not gotten in, so am super excited!
Rebecca
#7 - August 23, 2018, 10:26 AM
TheWingedPen.com
Twitter: @RebeccaJ__Allen
Instagram: @Rebecca_Allen

Congrats Abby! Looking forward to seeing you again. Congrats Rebecca!

I received my acceptance yesterday, and am  ready to reconnect at Rutgers with my favorite publishing people!

Jeff
#8 - August 23, 2018, 01:06 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Congrats Abby! Looking forward to seeing you again. Congrats Rebecca!

I received my acceptance yesterday, and am  ready to reconnect at Rutgers with my favorite publishing people!

Jeff
Yay! Congratulations!  It was so quiet in here, I was beginning to wonder!
Abby
#9 - August 23, 2018, 01:40 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I just got my acceptance letter as well! I've applied before an not gotten in, so am super excited!
Rebecca

Congratulations, Rebecca!
Abby
#10 - August 23, 2018, 01:41 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Congratulations, Jeff!

Do you guys live close by? I'm going to be coming down from CT and am thinking of driving down the night before so I'm not exhausted before things start. Any hotel suggestions would be appreciated!

Rebecca
#11 - August 23, 2018, 02:23 PM
TheWingedPen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
I attended two years ago and we stayed in the East Brunswick Hilton. I plan to drive up and stay at least Friday night in the Hilton. We could also organize a dinner on Friday night as has been done in the past with Blueboard members. Anyone interested?
So excited to be attending again this year!
Abby
#12 - August 24, 2018, 06:32 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks for the hotel tip, Abby! I would love to do dinner too, though I worry a bit about making it across the GW in Friday night traffic in time. I'll try! Maybe if we plan something on the later side?

Rebecca
#13 - August 24, 2018, 08:36 AM
TheWingedPen.com

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Friday evening dinner is a tradition! We generally do it at the Hilton East Brunswick, where most people stay, for convenience. Looking forward to connecting with old and new friends!

TJ
#14 - August 24, 2018, 01:46 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Hey, TJ! Good to connect with you here too!

Rebecca
#15 - August 24, 2018, 02:39 PM
TheWingedPen.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Congratulations, TJ! Yes - let's do Friday dinner!
Abby
#16 - August 25, 2018, 05:00 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Congrats to you, too, Abby. I see you're also MidAtlantic--whereabouts? I'm in DC.
Rebecca - glad to connect!
TJ
#17 - August 25, 2018, 02:47 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks, TJ! I'm coming from DC as well!
Abby
#18 - August 27, 2018, 02:28 PM

Congrats all RUCCLs! I'm up for a Friday night dinner too. "Blossom's" is the restaurant in the hotel.  Rebecca, I'm dealing with GWB traffic too. In previous years it's been kind of informal, with people drifting in and out as they arrive. So no big deal.  It's all good but I gotta refine my synopsis...
-Jeff
#19 - August 28, 2018, 06:40 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Congratz everyone! Another R for me. I stayed at the Marriott nearby when I attended. It was a fine hotel. (Probably a Residence Inn).
#20 - August 28, 2018, 08:58 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Congrats to all those who were admitted! I was so disappointed to realize I had a conflict with an existing SCBWI commitment for that weekend and I could not apply. I've convinced myself that otherwise this year, I would have been admitted!
#21 - August 28, 2018, 09:40 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks for the second hotel option, Debbie. My husband sometimes has hotel points from business trips and free is always better! I'm sorry you didn't get in this year.  Believe me, the same manuscript that got me in has gotten it's fair share of rejections too!

Jeff, It's good to know you've made it through the GW traffic and still made dinner and that showing late is okay! Why are you redoing your synopsis? Won't the mentors be reading the work we've already submitted? Or will they read the work there so there is value in another revision?

Thanks again for all the advice for the newb!  :grouphug2
Rebecca
#22 - August 29, 2018, 05:17 AM
TheWingedPen.com

Hey Debbie, Sorry for the R. I have heard that PBs are the most competitive category, and hardest to get accepted. BTW, I think the Marriott is now a Hilton. Hard to keep track of all those corporate changeovers...

Rebecca, I'm always redoing my synopsis.  Some people say the waiting is the hardest part, but for me, it's the synopsis! I'm pretty sure I have the plot points down, but I find it daunting to succinctly summarize my MC's emotional arc. He's such a complicated guy!
Jeff
#23 - August 29, 2018, 02:55 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Thanks for the info Jeff. I have Hilton and Marriott points, so the change may not affect me much if I do get in in the future. It's good to know though.

I'm working on my synopsis too. It's posted in the Online Critique section on these boards (in the SCBWI area). Very helpful folks there. Might be worth a try for you. Good luck.

Good luck to you all.
#24 - August 29, 2018, 08:52 PM

Members: