SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Contests and Challenges / Re: Haunted States of America Contest
« Last post by lisa-rose1 on May 20, 2022, 12:57 PM »
Nope, not me.  :huh
« Last post by emily-holewczynski on May 20, 2022, 12:23 PM »
NO and I am dying!!! No rejection, no acceptance, no nothing. Anyone else?!
« Last post by samantha-cassetta on May 19, 2022, 07:11 PM »
Has anyone else received either rejections or acceptances since the round that went out in late April/early May?
Picture Books (PB) / Re: What is meant by "Query letters not accepted"?
« Last post by dkshumaker on May 19, 2022, 03:36 PM »
I think there is a distinction between query letters and cover letters, but most people use them interchangeably. A query letter summarizes your story and asks if you can send it. A cover letter pitches your story and includes the story or whatever number of pages they are asking for. So I would definitely send a brief cover letter describing your story and your bio.  But now a days, most of these letters are just your email.

But I checked on the Charlesbridge website and I don't see anywhere where they state they DON'T want a letter. I would definitely check websites before sending anything, info in The Book could be out of date. On the website, they state they want things emailed, so in that email, I would briefly describe your story and why you think it's a good fit for the publisher.
Holiday House does want query letters -- it says it right on their website. Charlesbridge seems to want your writing only.
« Last post by Vijaya on May 18, 2022, 04:07 PM »
That's odd. Some publishers want a cover letter + sample pages, others want just a query letter, but I've not heard of publishers wanting only pages without a cover (only some contests). So I'd take Marcia's advice and send a letter along with your PB. Good luck!
Picture Books (PB) / Re: CRT
« Last post by mike-irvine on May 18, 2022, 11:49 AM »
I'm just a boring heterosexual white guy and I too have gotten form responses like those.  Form responses are like owls. They don't see color.
« Last post by mrh on May 18, 2022, 07:53 AM »
Without having read exactly what was stated, I think they probably mean they don't want ONLY query letters, with no pages. I would include a letter with the manuscript.
Picture Books (PB) / What is meant by "Query letters not accepted"?
« Last post by Anthony Casale on May 18, 2022, 07:08 AM »
I am a new, non-agented writer with a PB manuscript that I think is finally ready to send out. I've been combing through the list of publishers in The Book and have noticed that a few publishers that accept unsolicited manuscripts also note that they don't accept query letters (e.g. Charlesbridge, Holiday House).

My question is: do I send them anything that serves a similar purpose (introduces me and/or my book), or is it literally just my manuscript and that's all?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10