SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Can't evaluate a project. What do you think?

Discussion started on

Hello everyone! Could you, guys, please, help me to adequately assess the cost of the work? I made a project consisting of 26 ABC cards, and I'm not sure I set the proper price. How much would you charge a customer for such a project? Here is one of the cards. Thank you for your help!
#1 - May 24, 2018, 05:45 AM

I draw stuff for chocolates.
Poster Plus
There is not enough information to answer your question and I can't open the link.
#2 - May 26, 2018, 05:40 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin
Animal Totem Mandala 2016
The Story Circle 2016 (Piñata)
Color and Conjure 2017 (Llewellyn)

Hmmm, maybe dropbox link will work  https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6t13oan1prdvav/Zz-1.png?dl=0. Its a project of 26 cards, size 19X27cm, theme - occupations.
#3 - May 26, 2018, 07:08 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Wendy, I was able to open the attachment. Maybe it was a one-time glitch with your ISP?
#4 - May 26, 2018, 08:12 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
The attachment is a download, which some might not prefer to open.

The dropbox link is not a download, which is probably preferable for our purposes here.   :flowers2

#5 - May 26, 2018, 10:09 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
Maria, I don't have an answer to your question, but have to tell you how much I like the "Z" card I was able to view on your Dropbox link. It's just wonderful and I can only imagine how lovely the other 25 images must be, too!!

Best wishes on coming up with a price that suits you and the buyer!! (And please be sure to let us know when and where the cards are available!!)

:stars3
#6 - May 26, 2018, 10:12 AM

Thank you! I'm really pleased to hear this!   :flowers2
#7 - May 26, 2018, 10:16 AM

Poster Plus
Maria, your art is delightful. I understand there are 26 cards and that they are all the same size. To price the cards we have to know their usages. When you are creating something to be reproduced you are transferring rights to the publisher. So what rights are you transferring? Where will the cards be distributed, how many will be printed. Are you selling the original art? Is there a booklet included with the cards. A box? Were you commissioned to make the cards for someone else? What was your agreement? Are you working on a project for yourself? Will this be a Kickstarter campaign? So many more questions all having to do with what the cards will be used for, who is publishing them and how they will be distributed. Honestly, once you have the answers to these kinds of questions, you may actually find the answer to how you want to price them.
#8 - May 27, 2018, 05:50 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin

Wendy, thank you so much for the answer. I had no idea of all these details you mentioned. Just did the work and sold it, without much thinking, as I can see now. There is a lot to learn I guess. 
#9 - May 27, 2018, 09:50 AM

Poster Plus
I've been doing this stuff for decades, and I'm still finding out stuff I didn't know. Don't be too hard on yourself. Keep learning! Keep making art.
#10 - May 28, 2018, 06:39 AM
patreon.com/wendymartin

Thank you for the kind words Wendy! And thanks everyone who answered  :thankyou
#11 - May 29, 2018, 11:42 AM

Members: