SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
This sounds like a fun and intriguing evening Chris. I wish I had a little one in that age bracket to participate. Best wishes for you and your project.
Contests and Challenges / Re: Haunted States of America Contest
« Last post by ronald-cashman on December 01, 2021, 01:42 PM »
Happy Holidays All!

Like others, curious to know if anyone has heard from the publisher. Thanks!

Ron
« Last post by amaris-castillo on December 01, 2021, 11:44 AM »
Hello,

Has anyone heard back from the publisher about their submissions? Happy Holidays, everyone!

Best,

Amaris
Picture Books (PB) / Re: Biographies of women in STEM : Still a hot commodity?
« Last post by dkshumaker on November 29, 2021, 06:27 PM »
Write the best book you can. Chasing trends doesn't work. Even in saturated areas, unique approaches and stand-out writing is what will catch agents or editors eyes. You are obviously very passionate about your subject. If that passion comes through in your writing, that certainly helps. :-)
I try not to worry about what's hot or not. Write the book you need to write. It takes at least two years before it comes out once a publisher accepts it. So it's about two years from now, not now. And we can't know what's in store for then.
« Last post by kathleen-lovell on November 29, 2021, 04:45 PM »
Happy Holidays!
Hope you are all well.
Perhaps we will get an update soon.
OK, if STEM Bios are not so hot anymore, how about straight STEM stories?  Is there a market for these?

As a fellow writer of books about women in STEM (5 published, 3 coming out in the next few years), I can tell you the market is still saturated. BUT, that doesn't mean there isn't room for another well-told story of an unsung woman in the field. Write the best book you can and get it out there. Kids still need to hear these stories.

Yes, I agree; kids do need to hear about this.  The woman I am writing about would be a good role model in a very interesting field.  Brown University is very strong in this field and the academics I have talked about the project agree that it is a good subject to tell kids about.  Now the question is whether I can convince publishers.

As I noted before, your Code Breaker, Spy Hunter is the best book I have seen in this genre.   It is expertly researched (crypto is one of my fields) and beautifully written.

« Last post by lauriew on November 28, 2021, 06:29 AM »
As a fellow writer of books about women in STEM (5 published, 3 coming out in the next few years), I can tell you the market is still saturated. BUT, that doesn't mean there isn't room for another well-told story of an unsung woman in the field. Write the best book you can and get it out there. Kids still need to hear these stories.
« Last post by dewsanddamps on November 27, 2021, 08:03 PM »
I was told it's slowing down but I haven't asked for any updates--it's not something I'm working on now, so if it's rebounding any I wouldn't know it. And it's really about catching the right agent's eye with the right project at the right time--you could get lucky even if the market's turned down.
  :goodluck
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10