SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Few questions about agents

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Several questions about publishing as I am newbie in this.
Any links if previously answered would be appreciated!
If one has several PB is it ok to send them out to one agent  or it has to be one PB per agent!?
What does it mean publishing in a magazine!? Does one lose rights afterwards to turn it into PB or any other book!?
Thank you!  :parrot
#1 - January 03, 2021, 09:00 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi Shynar

Generally you'll like one story more than the rest. And you should send that one -- your best -- out. Do not send multiple PBs to the same agent at once.  You can send another (a few months) later.

Once a story has been published (online or in a magazine) you might get the rights back (every case is different), but a publisher isn't likely to help you turn it into a PB. Are you asking about self-publishing after the rights return to you?

The more important thing is making sure you're not submitting too early. Get feedback. Find comparable PBs. Listen to someone read your story aloud. You want your first impression to be as strong as possible.

Dave
#2 - January 03, 2021, 10:19 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Hi Dave, Thank you for your insights! That clarifies a lot ! If I need a feedback on my manuscript is there a way to contact a published author on this forum!? I also see other writers charging a fee for critique,  is it generally a good idea to contact them or an agent would edit it if it is worthwhile material!?
#3 - January 03, 2021, 11:13 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Hi Shynar,

If you'd like a critique on a manuscript, don't contact published authors on these forums. Instead, use the Critiques board on the  SCBWI section of these boards. You can also post that you are looking for a critique group on these boards as well.

Some authors do offer paid critique services, but I would get feedback from others and revise and polish before you do this if you decide to go that route. You  don't want to pay $ with too early of a draft, get it as close to ready as you can first.

Agents generally do not do provide feedback on manuscripts. However, if there is something about the manuscript that they love, but feel it's not quite ready, they may ask for a revise/resubmit. (R&R) When I was in my agent hunt, I did get several of those, though none of them lead to my agent. But I know of people who did get their agent after an R&R.
#4 - January 03, 2021, 11:32 AM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, May 2021)
Tell Someone (Albert Whitman, October 2021)
Peculiar Primates (Running Press Kids, Fall 2022)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
dkshumaker thank you for your reply!  :thankyou it is helpful to know how to approach things!
#5 - January 03, 2021, 03:48 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Adding to what the others have said: always check guidelines on an agent's website before submitting. There are a couple who ask for more than one manuscript at a time, but that is rare. Also, always have at least three in submittable shape. Many agents will ask for other work if they lik the first one you send. They want to know you have a career ahead of you and not just this one book.

Magazine writing can be a great way to get experience and get your name out there. Many magazines do take all rights to your story. But most often, something written for a magazine won't be suitable for a picture book because it won't lend itself to that structure.

And I totally agree with going as far as you can with each story for free before paying for a critique except as part of a conference. Spend money on things that will help you develop as a writer and not just perfect one story at a time. SCBWI is an example. Classes can be another.

Good luck.

#6 - January 03, 2021, 06:08 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
The answers to Shynar’s questions were very helpful to me as I had similar questions. Thank you, Shynar, for posting your questions.
#7 - January 08, 2021, 09:39 AM

Members: