SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Interning with publishing company

Discussion started on

OddBerryCreations

So as most of you know, I'm very eager to learn and to get as much experience with everything illustration and so I have contacted a publishing company. Now before you get all excited  :grin3 I contacted them because they take volunteers and interns all the time. They are professional and award winning so I submitted a very nice cover letter, a link to my website, as well as my resume. I do have some experience since the e-book I illustrated was published not too long ago and I'm hoping to expand that even more. They contacted me back and I have a phone interview with them later today. For those of you that work with publishers on a regular basis...now what do I do??

:grouphug2:
#1 - June 07, 2013, 07:51 AM

OddBerryCreations

So to update, the call went well and the person I talked to said she will forward my information on to the higher ups and then they will decide on what to do next.

She also informed me that she has many independent projects she is working on and requested that I submit some more 'adult geared' images because she has a couple of authors that are in need of an illustrator but their books aren't for children. More like Danielle Steele. She suggested I look at designing book covers because the market is in need of illustrators because so many books are being published that aren't very good. Thoughts? This is not something I have ever thought of...but who knows.

She also requested we keep in touch because networking is a powerful tool in the world of illustration and publishing.

:bewildered:
#2 - June 07, 2013, 10:25 AM

Chronic
Poster Plus
I don't really have any thoughts but hopefully an illustrator will soon chime in. Just wanted to say I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and glad the interview went well!
#3 - June 07, 2013, 10:28 AM
Film school grad. Time traveller. Billy Bragg fan. Canadian/Irish novelist of character-driven fiction from sci-fi to slice of life.

Wish you good luck:)
#4 - June 08, 2013, 07:08 AM

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
Good luck! It sounds like you have gone through the right steps. Interning is a great way to get your feet wet.
#5 - June 24, 2013, 07:21 PM

Members: