SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Friday is graduation! Illustration world...here I come!!

Discussion started on

OddBerryCreations

As you all know I have been all over these boards trying to gain advice, suggestions, soft shoulders to cry on when my work was just driving me bonkers, and anything else possible. I am finishing up my Bachelors in Digital Design and Animation on Friday. It has been a very long 4 years.

I have went from being so mad at my work that I wanted to sling it across the room to walking away from it to giving it a chance to breath. I love drawing and I love creating my own characters. I feel like character design is where I want to end up. I have been studying artists like Stephen Silver and Chris Oatley which has given me great insights as to where I can end up if I work hard. I don't have a style persay and I still get frustrated with my work. I can't get the eyes right, I get frustrated because my body poses are off, I get angry with the fact that the emotions I want to show in my sketches don't come out...they end up looking like odd little stick figures. I have looked at many tutorials and suggested sites online and I've pretty much gotten the same thing from all of them...bares bones...nothing. I don't mean that negatively...but I mean I've come to realize that while the outlines are helpful and the suggestions to get going are great, I'm the one that has to pick up the pencil. I want to learn illustrator and I want to learn how to vectorize my images the way I want them...but I need to have the solid basics down first.

I'm an odd one and that's ok...being odd is what I do best. I'm including some new...odd...images. I don't know where I fit in the children's illustration...if anywhere, but I know illustration is where I want to be.
#1 - June 18, 2013, 09:23 AM

OddBerryCreations

Here's a couple more.
#2 - June 18, 2013, 09:24 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Congrats on your graduation, Oddberry.  :congratswave

I'm partial to that little rhino. :)
#3 - June 18, 2013, 09:45 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Rungen

Congrats and good luck--

And as someone's who's currently retraining in some basic skills, I've found animation posing charts and blogs invaluable. Maybe they'll be more helpful to you than classical "realistic 7.5 head height sort of poses"?
Check out anything by Preston Blair:
http://www.amazon.com/Animation-Learn-Animate-Cartoons-Cartooning/dp/0929261518/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2DST2FMZZ7B5C&coliid=I2A0QFS0P689IE

And you can find a lot of good pose charts at blogs like this one: http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2007/01/animation-school-lesson-9-_116873606139658339.html
#4 - June 18, 2013, 10:08 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Congratulations to you!!  :fireworks
#5 - June 18, 2013, 10:42 AM
A RAMBLER STEALS HOME, HMH 2016
EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR A TREEHOUSE; THIS IS NOT A VALENTINE, Chronicle 2017
designofthepicturebook.com
@carterhiggins

cbahr

Congratulations to you, you cute little oddberry! Keep at it! It will come together for you! :gogirl
#6 - June 18, 2013, 03:15 PM

OddBerryCreations

Lol....thanks guys...but what do you think about my images??  :haha
#7 - June 18, 2013, 07:32 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Congratulations Oddberry! What a huge accomplishment. That rhino looks very mischievous. Great sense of play and fun.

Vijaya
#8 - June 19, 2013, 06:44 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Congratulations :)
#9 - June 20, 2013, 12:44 PM

Creator of Mootastic Art and Children's Books
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Congratulations Odd Berry! I like your images, especially Keep on Reaching and the sculptor. Good luck!
#10 - June 20, 2013, 04:08 PM
Site - http://sruble.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/StephanieRuble

picture book: EWE AND AYE (Disney-Hyperion)

I was once the boy who wouldn't sit still!
Member.
Poster Plus
Congrats! The images are fun. I also like the one with the rhino.
#11 - June 24, 2013, 07:06 PM

Writer & illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Congrats and good luck!

Debbie
#12 - July 01, 2013, 07:53 AM
DebbieOhi.com - Twitter: @inkyelbows - Instagram: @inkygirl

Members: