SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

R&R protocol for PBs

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Hi everyone! I just received my second r&r for a picture book ms by an agent. However whereas the first agent looked at my other manuscripts before giving her feedback, this agent just wanted me to r&r the one I queried her with. I'm not really in line with her feedback so I don't know if I will go ahead with it but I was wondering how this works with picture books. What if they like this revision but not your other stories enough to sign you on? Wouldn't it be a waste of time then? Would love to hear from anyone who has gone through this. Thank you :)
#1 - February 14, 2021, 11:09 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hi Thush,

Congratulations! You may revise and not get an offer. But what have you lost? Time. What have you gained? A possibly better manuscript. Do you have a critique buddy to get their take on the agents' suggestions before you revise? Of course, if you absolutely do not agree with the agent's thoughts, then there's no need to revise. Good luck!

Jody
#2 - February 15, 2021, 05:40 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I agree with Jody. It certainly doesn't hurt to try the revision, just to see if it improves the manuscript. If it does, great! You have a better manuscript even if the agent doesn't offer! If the manuscript is not improved, then at least you know you tried. And revising per an agent or editor request is a good practice as odds are you'll be asked to do that a lot more in the future. But it may confirm YOUR vision for the story, which is not a bad thing.

One thing to keep in mind about requested revisions. Try to read "in between the lines". I have found that sometimes they might say something that seems specific, but it may not be the only thing that will "fix" the story for them. Try to see what their suggestions are addressing. It might be more of a "big picture" thing and another type of revision may fix the issue vs. what they specifically asked for. I hope that makes sense.
#3 - February 15, 2021, 05:46 AM
Freaky Funky Fish ( Running Press Kids, May 2021)
Tell Someone (Albert Whitman, October 2021)
Peculiar Primates (Running Press Kids, Fall 2022)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Agree, dkshumaker! Sometimes an editor/agent will propose a specific solution, when in reality what they're feeling is that something just doesn't work. If you can solve what doesn't work for them, it won't make a difference whether or not you use their specific solution.
#4 - February 15, 2021, 04:04 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
You have great info already. Adding: Some agents take on a specific book rather than an author. That means they could rep you for this book and not like anything else you have. They may also love the next thing you write even if they don't love the completed manuscripts you have now. It's a very subjective industry with an ever-changing market.

Congratz on the R & R and good luck with any revisions you decide to try.
#5 - February 15, 2021, 06:17 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Thank you everyone sooo helpful and reassuring as always! 🤗
#6 - February 15, 2021, 06:35 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
Good luck, Thush!