SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Help! I'm unhappy with the editor's changes to my manuscript

Discussion started on

Books for Kids and Teens
Poster Plus
In my experience, short stories in magazines have been trimmed/edited with no input from me, I just see the results when the story is published. Fortunately,  the changes were minor.

With books the attitude from the editors has been that it is my work and I  could refuse any changes, though I rarely did that. Hope you can work things out with your editors after talking with them

Good luck!
#31 - July 02, 2021, 08:07 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Hi all  ::-) just an update!

I had a Zoom call with the editor today and it went pretty well. She did say her changes were more suggestions than definites, and was pretty open to the blend of our edits that I pitched in a document I sent to her ahead of time. Hopefully that will be the version we end up going with, though she did say she was going to run it by one more person who sometimes edits for them because she likes to have a few different sets of eyes on things before finalizing. I guess we will see what happens, but either way I'm going to continue to push for a version I'm happy with. I did mention to her that if I'm going to be marketing and promoting this book, I need to be happy with the writing in the end, and she said she absolutely understood that and definitely didn't want me to be unhappy. So, it seems like we'll be able to work it out.

It also turns out there were a lot of things I didn't understand about layout, sizing, print, etc. so we talked about that and were able to reach a compromise on the structuring of the stanzas per page.

Thank you all for encouraging me to fight for what I wanted, and for suggesting a video/phone call to work things out. That helped SO much and was way easier than trying to solve things over email. I'm sure there will be more things to work out down the line, but I feel  more hopeful now that the book might come out okay.

Also, in the interest of professionalism, do you think it would be wise to delete this thread (and my initial thread about them) eventually? I don't think the publishers are SCBWI members as of right now, but I guess I'd just feel bad if they ever came across this and saw all my ranting, especially since I'm going to have a professional relationship with them moving forward. Thoughts?

:thankyou
#32 - July 09, 2021, 04:15 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'm so glad this is moving in the right direction.

I wouldn't worry about someone coming upon the threads. We do clean out older ones periodically. It may benefit other members too. (You are not alone in this.) And this thread doesn't mention names, so if they search for themselves or their company, it won't show up. But I'm also one of those people who believes in keeping everything. If you decide to remove it, no problem.
#33 - July 09, 2021, 06:41 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: