SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

"Maillardet's Mysterious Machine" (Boys' Quest December 2013)

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
My nonfiction article, "Maillardet's Mysterious Machine" is in the December 2013 issue of Boys' Quest (Robots Issue)!  It's my first print publication! Just received my contributor's copy yesterday. I'm so happy with the layout and how they incorportated the photos I subbed with the piece. I love their magazines!

Ev, I saw two of your puzzles in the Robots issue - Congratulations!  What neat puzzles!  Love the Robot Riddle! Anyone else in the Dec. issue?

Happy writing :-)

Sue 
#1 - November 26, 2013, 02:18 PM
www.suegagliardi.com
Twitter: @Sue_Gagliardi
The Mysterious Writing Machine - Schoolwide 2015
Benjamin's Bookshelf - MeeGenius/HMH 2013

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Congratulations Sue! What a wonderful topic and theme!!! May this be the first of many printed stories and articles.
You're a sweetie to give a shout out to Ev as well. She's a puzzle master extraordinaire.
Vijaya
#2 - November 26, 2013, 04:39 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 40 books and 60 magazine pieces

What a cool topic! I read a lot about Maillardet when I was researching automata when writing Magic Under Glass.
#3 - November 26, 2013, 05:01 PM
Author of the Magic Under Glass duology
& Between the Sea and Sky
Dark Metropolis, 6/14
http://jaclyndolamore.blogspot.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Oh Sue - how cool! And congratulations to Ev as well.
Jean
#4 - November 26, 2013, 05:03 PM
Jean Reidy
Coming soon: Specs, Specs II, Pup 681, When the Snow is Deeper Than Your Boots Are Tall, Group Hug , Truman

www.jeanreidy.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I'm sorry not to respond sooner, Sue. (It's been a busy week with Thanksgiving.) Thank you for your kind comments about my puzzles, and yours too, Vijaya.

Congratulations on your wonderful article, Sue! :partytime  I just read it and was fascinated. What a terrific story to share with kids (and adults like me). You did a great job with the write-up. I'm hoping this will be just the first of many publications for you with the Bluffton trio of magazines. They're fun ones.
#5 - November 29, 2013, 06:47 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
Congrats to Sue & Ev!!  :yay
#6 - November 30, 2013, 09:30 AM

Congratulations :)
#7 - November 30, 2013, 10:45 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Congratulations, Sue and Ev!  :fireworks
Your article sounds interesting, Sue. I'd never heard of Maillardet until your post. Very cool.
#8 - December 02, 2013, 01:30 PM
Anita N. Amin

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Thank you all so much for your congrats and kind words!  I enjoyed writing the article and I am fascinated by automata! It was so cool to see Maillardet's automaton at the Franklin Institute museum in Phila.  My son and I are Hugo fans and loved seeing the automaton in the book and movie.

Jaclyn, how neat that you included automata in your Magic Under Glass! I have to check it out! 

Ev, the Bluffton group publishes wonderful magazines!  I have two other nonfiction pieces coming out with them in the next couple of years - one in the Rocks issue and one in the Nifty Rodents issue.  :-) Congrats again on your puzzles!  Great stuff!

Sue
#9 - December 03, 2013, 03:05 PM
www.suegagliardi.com
Twitter: @Sue_Gagliardi
The Mysterious Writing Machine - Schoolwide 2015
Benjamin's Bookshelf - MeeGenius/HMH 2013

Members: